24. The unshed tears

Fenice sweatdrop at the sight before him.

Just a while ago Venti pouting at him for not tasting the Dandelion Wine. As he already take a sip from Venti's Dandelion Wine, the bard quite happy and finally got drunk.

"You... Went through all this everyday?"

"Unfortunately, yes. Please drag back this bard once you're done with your drink."

"... I pity you, Master Diluc."

"I appreciate your sympathy." Fenice chuckle as he pick up the fallen beret and put it back on Venti's head.

"The name is Fenice by the way. Though you might've heard Venti said my name."

"Diluc Ragnvindr. A pleasure to know you, Fenice. It's a surprise to see Venti actually listens to someone. May I know long you two have been friends?"

"Hmm... I'm not sure. I stop counting for years. You can say we already known each other long enough."

"I see..."

Silence fills in the tavern since the other customers already leave for their works.

"Thank you for taking care of him, Master Diluc."

"Huh?"

Fenice then glance at Venti. Despite his drunken state, he still can hear Fenice and Diluc's conversation.

"You know, even a kind soul can get frustrated when their customers always didn't pay for their drinks but you're different. Is it because you knew his real identity?"

Diluc flinch and stop wiping the glass in his hand and looks at Fenice who already staring at him.

"I... Don't know what kind of identity you're talking about." Fenice chuckle at Diluc's lie.

"There's no need to hide it. I already knew. Venti told me about that through the wind when I'm in Fontaine. Only you, Acting Grandmaster Jean, traveler and Paimon knew about this, right?"

Diluc hesitantly nod.

"That's good to know that. Though I must say it's obvious he's Barbatos. I mean, look at him and his statue. His braids are the most obvious one. I don't know how Mondstadt people still didn't notice that."

"That's... Make sense."

"... Don't tell me you just notice about that, Master Diluc."

"I didn't visit his statue often like other people here." Fenice chuckle at Diluc's reply. Seriously, Mondstadt people really rely on their freedom.

And he wish for that too.

"Fenice..."

Fenice broke out of his and Diluc's conversation by looking at Venti who face planted on the table with his bangs covering his pretty face.

"Hm? What's wrong, Venti-"

Fenice feels his eyes widen by looking at his best friend's state. Indeed, Venti's bangs hid his face but his eyes can still be seen peeking through his bangs.

What Fenice didn't expect are tears falling from Venti's eyes. Fenice was too stunned to speak. Did he immersed in conversation with Diluc to notice his best friend crying until Venti calls out for him?

Now he feels like he didn't deserve to be called a 'best friend' from Venti since he's a bad one.

"Venti, w-what's wrong? Are you in pain? Did it hurt somewhere?" He push Venti's hair out of his face and wipe the tears.

Venti didn't say anything and just tug his sleeve. He flinch when Venti's teary eyes meet his.

"Fenice, I'm scared. What if... What if they find you here? That place can be seen nearest here than other nations. I knew it you should cancel your plan to visit me earlier. What if-"

Fenice cut him off by pulling him into his chest and pat his head.

"Hey, Venti. Calm okay? It's gonna be okay. I'm gonna be okay. So no need to feel worry. I-I'm sure I changed my appearance and cancel out my aura and elements so they can't find me. You should calm down."

"How can I calm down when I know you can easily die by their hands of they find you! You don't know your origin and there's a big possibility that they're the one who created you."

"Venti-"

"We both know know if they're the one who created you, they call easily kill you too."

"Venti, I-"

"Please, Fenice. I don't wanna lose another friend..."

Fenice keeps his mouth shut and clenches his hand by his side. He tilts down his head a bit and his eyes can be seen like he's crying even though there's not even a drop of his tears falls down from his eyes.

He then hear Venti softly laugh.

"Heh, now look at you. You can't even cry, knowing they will know you're here. It's hurt to see you in pain like this, Fenice..."

Slowly, Venti's eyelids getting heavier and falls into his slumber in Fenice's hold.

"..." Diluc, who heard everything since the two is just in front of him, wondering who they're talking about. Especially the one who created and can easily kill Fenice.

Diluc finds it hard to believe as he saw Fenice hold a vision. A Hydro one. Usually vision holders can defend themselves so it won't be easy for Fenice to die by someone's hand, right?

More important, who is Fenice?

He snapped out of his thoughts by Fenice calls out his name.

"Master Diluc, can you take care of Venti after I leave? " Diluc blink at the sudden request.

"Huh?"

"I can pay for anything. His meals, his clothes and more. I just need someone to take care of him when I'm not by his side."

"... Haih. Fine, I don't need your Mora though. I can take care of him with my own allowance."

"But-"

"Take the offer or you can find someone else to take care of him."

"... I take your offer, Master Diluc. I'm in your debt." Diluc is slightly intrigued when he saw Fenice looks at him.

Even though he's smiling, his puffy eyes say otherwise.