12. A strange yet comfortable relationship

Fenice stare at the traveler, who eating with his puffy eyes before him. They currently in the kitchen in his shop. Let's throwback what happened.

Flashback

"I think... People already take advantage of my kindness. I already help many people, saying they can help with searching my sister before coming here. Yet, all I got is nothing. I didn't even ask for the attention, titles or something like those things..."

"A-All I want is to reunite with my sister. Is it too much to ask for?"

Aether feels his eyes getting blurry. His overwhelming emotions hit him continuesly. Meanwhile, Fenice face the traveler, still do nothing and let the traveler vent because he don't know what to do.

He sigh as he saw Aether has no intention of stopping. He kneel in front of the traveler and give him a hug without saying anything.

He flinch when Aether's grip tighten on him and his sobbing getting louder. Aether, who longing for the warmth he seek for, suddenly feels like wanting to let everything out while Fenice is panicking.

'Why he's suddenly cry harder? Did I triggered something? Its usually working when I hug Lyney and Lynette. Why it isn't the same for him? He should say he didn't like hugs earlier!'

After almost one hour passed, Aether finally stop crying and snuggled closer to Fenice to get more of his warmth while Fenice stare at nothingness.

He didn't say anything and just pat Aether's head as a sign he's comforting him in silence. He sigh in relief when Aether's stop sobbing.

Aether feels his eyelids getting heavier. Mostly losing his energy while he's crying. Just as he about to fall asleep, Fenice broke out the hug make him whine as he miss the feeling of his warmth.

"You should go rest. You should see how tired you are right now. Did you have your lunch yet?" Aether weakly shake his head.

"Let's go get you something from the restaurant. After that, you can go to your inn to rest." Aether shake his head again make Fenice raise his eyebrow.

Aether, as if he's reading Fenice's mind, sigh.

"If we're going to the restaurant, there's a big possibility for us to meet Paimon."

"And? I don't see that's a problem for you. She's your companion after all, right?"

"I don't want to handle her loudness right now. Can we go to somewhere else?"

"... Let's just go to my shop. I'll cook for you."

End Flashback

"You're not going to eat, Fenice...?"

"I already have my lunch. You can rest assure and continue eating."

Aether weakly nod and look around the shop. You could say its quite spacious for someone who's living alone. He want to ask Fenice about it but he afraid he might trigger something.

He just continue eating in silence, ignoring the curiosity which is blooming inside him right now. He didn't want to upset Fenice more by burdening him.

Fenice sweatdrop as he saw Aether's imaginary ears fall down like a sad puppy. Its clearly he want to ask something but don't want to upset him.

"If you have anything to ask, just ask away."

Aether's internally sweating. He want to ask questions about Fenice but decide to ask another question about something else.

"I- Uh... I just want to know the possibility of me getting some information here. You seems to know a lot..." Fenice tilt his head, still can't grasp of what Aether want to say.

"Your point is?"

"I want to know if you have some information about my sister. Y-You don't have to if you don't want. I can just ask Furina later, since she's the Hydro Archon..."

A chuckle from Fenice make Aether look up and his golden eyes clashed with the mint eyes.

"You know what, I'm waiting for this question."