20. Fancy

My fingertips brushed over the smooth fabric of my dress. The dark blue color of the gown really made my pale skin glow. The color had a rare affect on me, I loved it.

I curled my hair, but since my hair was so utterly difficult, it had fallen into effortless waves. It looked nice, though.

I was satisfied by my reflection, as I stood in the mirror, running my fingers through my hair.

"Okay, I'm ready." I said to myself as I fluffed my hair one last time. I turned around and exited my bathroom, accidentally running into Quentin on the way through the skinny hallway.

"Oh, sorry Oli!" Quentin apologized as he stepped back.

"Don't worry about it," I said, shrugging it off as I patted my dress out.

He looked up and down my outfit, and I watched as his eyes widened. "Wow, Oli, you look really pretty. Why so dressed up?"

I smiled at his generous remark. "I'm going out," I retorted.

"Oh, okay, have fun." Quentin divulged as he made his way around me and off into his room.

Feeling even more satisfied with how I looked, I grabbed my phone and my matching clutch, strutting over to the living room. I sat down on the couch, opening the messages application on my device.

Olivia: You almost here? I'm ready

Shawn: Just pulled up. See you in a sec:)

I stood up and walked the short path to the foyer, looking through the thin window between the front door and the wall. I watched as Shawn came up the walkway, and I took a step back, careful not to let him see me.

I allowed him to knock on the door once, before waiting a moment so it didn't seem obvious that I was awaiting him by the door.

I took a long, slow deep breath, and then leaned forward and reached for the door handle, pulling it open, to reveal Shawn, all dressed up in a black tuxedo. In his (arousing) hands, he grasped a big bouquet of pink tulips.

"For me?" I asked, placing my hand over my heart as an expression of gratitude. A smile arose on his face, exposing Shawn's perfectly white and aligned teeth. He held out the flowers in one hand, speaking,"Of course."

Graciously, I clutched onto the jumbled stems of tulips and took a whiff, the sweet scent filling my nostrils, pleasing me.

"Hold on, let me put these in a vase," I said, pointing one finger in front of me to gesture for him to stay still as I dug for one of my mother's vases, filled it up halfway with water, and placed the ardent flowers into the glass container before returning back to where Shawn stood.

In the silence, he took the chance to look up and down my outfit, and I watched as his eyes lit up, a charming smirk appearing on his face.

"You look absolutely beautiful," he admitted, shaking his head without taking his gaze off of me.

I shrugged, feeling flattered. "Thank you, you look really good too," I giggled, still standing in the doorway.

Finally, Shawn outstretched his hand, slightly bowing. "Shall we?" he offered. I obliged, and he lead me off to his Jeep like a prince taking his princess to a horse-drawn carriage. Now, let me tell you, his vehicle was no fairy-tale-ride, but he was my prince, and that was all I needed to feel like a princess.

As he drove, and I stared at his immaculate features, I noticed that he'd become more alert while driving. He was not as laid back about driving as he used to be. With every car he passed, his muscles tensed, and his breaths became heavy. The accident had really made him more aware of the possibilities.

I reached over, intertwining his fingers with mine and rubbing my thumb over the top of his hand, relaxing him as he drove. At a red light, he looked over at me. I remember the look so well, it's engraved into my mind and heart. The look that silently spoke so many words; his flawless brown eyes overflowing with all the love and affection in the world, his smile so gentle and passionate. In that very look you could see just how much he was in love with me, and he didn't even have to say it aloud.

The red light quickly switched to green, and Shawn faced back forward, pressing his foot on the accelerator.

A question popped into my head that I had not yet asked: "Where are we going?" I said, staring at the road.

"It's a surprise," Shawn replied in a sing-song voice.

I laughed, saying,"Last time you said that we ended up in the middle of nowhere, should I be scared to find out where we're headed tonight?"

"Don't worry, it'll be nice. I didn't tell you to dress fancy for nothing," he chuckled.

I grinned at his response and turned my stare to the window, where I watched as the world around me whooshed passed, everything in fast-motion. We drove by beautiful buildings, plants, and trees. Yes, there were some gorgeous sights, but none of them could beat the one sitting right beside me.

- - -
(A/N) 6/20/15

SHAWN IN A TUX MAKES ME FRUSTRATED. but the pics came out just in time for this chapter + the next :)) sorry for the late update, I've been busy. I just got back in town from vacation, & I've been spending time with my family and stuff so. yes. i have been editing previous chapters tho, I want this book to be as perfect as can be. haha, love u

- sophia

p.s. I love reading your comments and 75% of them make me laUGH SO HARD I LOVE YOU GUYS BYE