26. Quick Change Of Plans

My mom and I finished our meal and headed out to the car so that I could attempt to make amends with Leah.

On the way over to her house, the drive was silent as the road zoomed past us and the sun beat down on my mother's beat up 2005 black Minivan, causing beads of sweat to form across my hairline. Partially, the perspiration was from all the nerves, but then again I was really overheated.

My mind, though, was completely focused on all of my many worries of all the horrible outcomes this drop-by could possibly constitute. For example, what happened if she didn't accept my apology and continued to like Shawn? What if we stopped being friends permanently? I mentally gasped as I thought of what may have been the worst conclusion: What would happen if she were to tell me that she's in love with Shawn?

I clutched my hands into fists, my fingernails gouging deep into my palms as I reminded myself to relinquish all of the negative thoughts. My eyes dropped shut as I inhaled an abundance of oxygen, relaxing my tight grip, easing the pain shooting throughout my hands.

It is a possibility, though, my conscience emphasized, defying what I had wanted to believe.

"Can you do this, Olivia?" my mom's voice interfered with my psyche-harming brainwork.

My eyes twitched over to the window where Leah's home remained, the tile pathway to her doorstep almost mocking me, as if they were screaming my name.

I hesitated before I was convinced. "I guess so. I mean, it's now or never, right? What could go wrong?" I said, trying to be as positive as I possibly could be at that moment.

But everything was mostly blurry after that. I don't clearly remember getting out of the car, nor walking across the pathway. All I recall is looking through that dirty window beside her chestnut front door and seeing Leah. But she wasn't alone. Two hands were placed on her shoulders. These weren't just anybody's hands, though. These were the two hands that I would recognize anywhere. The most stunning yet arousing excuse for a pair of paws.

You guessed it, they were Shawn's.

Confused assumptions circled my brain as I wondered why Shawn would be at Leah's house.

They're friends, Olivia. Don't get so protective, my god, I scolded myself silently.

I do, however, remember that heart-sinking feeling I experienced as I saw the look on his face. That undeniably beautiful smirk adorned his perfect pink lips. The grin that spoke a thousand words at once. I always thought I was the cause of that smile. But judging by what my eyes did not conceive, I was not.

It was already difficult enough to see that smile upon his face, but to make things even worse, Leah was smiling too. As she looked up at him, her face redder than a burning flame, her eyes seemed to speak the exact words that Shawn's smirk conveyed.

He then separated his lips, saying something I couldn't distinguish. Leah grinned, that ravishing grin she acquired. Then she promptly shifted her weight to the tips of her toes as her lips met his.

She kissed him.

I couldn't stand to watch any longer. I pivoted on the heel of my foot, forbidding me to see any more. My throat had formed an enormous lump, preventing me from swallowing. My lungs had collapsed on me, and I couldn't breathe. It was like the exquisite flowers that Shawn had planted in my heart had abruptly died, and I couldn't function. I forgot how to walk. I forgot how to breathe. It was like everything I ever knew had totally liberated my mind. The sudden pain was a smack in the face. A rough one, at that.

My hand cuffed around my mouth, stifling a thundering sob, and I couldn't breathe.

I reached out desperately to cling to the pillar beside the entrance, my back crashing against it, and I couldn't function.

My feet pounded against the concrete as I tried to make my way back to my mother's car, and I forgot how to walk.

My legs gave in and I went tumbling into the grass.

My ears were ringing. My eyesight was blurred. My chest felt as if a million pounds had just been dropped directly on top of me. My mother rushed to my side, kneeling beside me. Her lips moved fast as she repeatedly asked what was wrong. I couldn't hear her, though, but I could, if I tried hard enough, see the concerned look on her face through the thick layer of tears glassing my eyes.

I pounded on my chest several times, trying to signal that I couldn't breathe. I gasped for air as she wrapped her arms around my torso, struggling to lift me off of the ground.

"Olivia!" I heard a familiar voice call. I couldn't recognize it, though. I honestly couldn't even tell one thing from another at that exact moment.

An extra pair of arms wrapped around me, effortlessly raising me off the ground.

That's when I fainted.

- - -
(A/N) 7/18/15

i choked up wbu :/

VOTE AND COMMENT IF U WANNA

AND OR COMMENT NICE THINGS FOR ME TO WAKE UP TO GOODNIGHT NOW

- sophia