38. Goodbyes

After that long, dreadful day, I decided to skip school the next day. Yes, the second day of school.

That morning, as Leo was leaving for his job, he entered my bedroom, gently asked,"You need me to drop you off at school?" and waited for a response.

"No," I squeaked, tugging the covers up and over my exposed shoulders.

He nodded, slowly shut the door, and left.

I felt like absolute shit.

An hour later, there was a knock on my front door. Weakly, I climbed out of my bed, wrapped a blanket around me, and went to open the door.

My heart sank into the pit of my stomach as I saw Shawn standing, his mouth agape and his eyes puffy and languid. His posture was very poor, a maroon hoodie and black pants decorating his tall, masculine figure.

"Shawn," was all I managed to say.

"Hi, Olivia..." he said, his voice low and raspy. He cleared his throat, initiating a goofy smile.

"What are you doing here?" I deadpanned, leaning against the doorway.

"I came to, um, say goodbye." he said quietly,"I'm leaving now." He motioned to the vehicle behind him.

"Okay." I muttered.

There was an awkward pause. I don't think either of us knew what to say. I was still upset, he still felt guilty for having to leave me behind. I still have that burning feeling in my chest. I still love him. I don't think that's ever going to change.

"Well... How are you?" he shrugged.

I just looked at him. I felt like I was being a bit too harsh, but I was mad, and I wasn't good at expressing that.

He pursed his lips nodding and looking down at the ground.

"Okay, I'm going to go."

That's when he leaned in, lifting a cold hand to my cheek. His kiss became imminent, so I briskly turned my head, his lips landing just centimeters away from mine.

He sighed slowly, shaking his head as he stepped away. He flashed one last smile as he began walking away.

I stood in the doorway, paralyzed in disbelief. Just as I was about to shut the door, he turned around, looked at me with tears in those beautiful eyes and said,"Don't think I don't love you. Because I do, even if you hate me right now.  And I don't think that will ever change. And until I see you again... I guess I just wanted you to know that."

Then he gave me the strangest look, as if he was cherishing this moment, taking a mental image. 

"And thank you for everything." he sighed and his voice broke. I had seen him cry before, but somehow this time it was different. He quickly wiped away the tear that had fallen down his cheek, and then made his way down to the car in in the street.

That was the last I saw of him.

I had imagined that our story would end of differently, that we would be together forever. And maybe we will be together again one day, who knows. 

I do know that he definitely went somewhere. He got famous. Before I could even fathom what had happened, everybody knew his name.

He was doing what he had always loved. And I was proud of him. And I always will be.

THE END

- - -
(A/N) 2-6-16

I didn't have think this would be how this story would end, but I got tired of leaving you all hanging. so this is it!

if you want to read more of my work, you can check out my book "thief" :) I'm really proud of it and I love it sm

i hope you enjoyed this story.

goodbye

-sophia