30. Only The Beginning

(One Week and Five Days Later)

"This is actually happening," Shawn announced, his voice shaky as he stared blankly ahead of him.

I smiled up at his face, fear defining his features. My hands slowly slid down his chest, patting down the wrinkles in his shirt.

"I don't know if I can do this," he mumbled, his eyes landing on mine. He shook his head microscopically.

"Shawn, you can do this. Look, you're absolutely phenomenal. All those people out there came to see you, so even if you suck, which you won't, they'll still adore you." I encouraged, fiddling with the promise ring wrapped around my finger.

"But what if I forget the lyrics? Or the chords? Or what if I forget how to sing?"

"Whoa there, Shawn. You shouldn't be that scared, dear lord. Okay, you won't forget anything if it's the only thing you're concentrated on."

"How am I supposed to concentrate when all those people are staring me down?"

"Just imagine you're all alone, standing on an empty stage and singing to a vacant arena. How about that?"

"Okay, fine. Yea, that works." he agreed.

My eyes shifted up to the clock hanging upon the cream colored wall in the hallway we stood in. "You're on in two minutes," I reminded Shawn, shrugging my shoulders.

He groaned, swinging his guitar over his shoulder as he strummed lightly, adjusting the sound. He then began warming up his voice, clearing his throat and licking his lips as he messed with his earpiece.

"You can do this." I promised, leaning over his guitar to peck my lips onto his."Wow, that's weird, gotta get used to that," I murmured, stumbling back.

I wasn't quite tall enough to kiss him when having to reach over his guitar, as he stood, a towering 6'3 as I only stood at 5'8. I was still pretty giant for a girl, anyway.

Shawn ignored my comment, his brain focused on his nerves and all the possible mishaps.

The fans began to chant his name, and Shawn seemed to lose control of his breathing. He squinted uncomfortably as he grasped a firm handful of his hair.

"Deep breaths, baby. You're on." I said.

He froze, staring at me with wide, petrified eyes. He wouldn't budge.

I walked around him, pressing my hands against his chiseled back, lunging myself forward and shoving him towards the stage entrance.

He stammered forward, turning around slowly to face me as his face withheld an unsure smirk. "Here goes."

He then stepped out, the chanting of the audience switching to ear-shredding screams and roars.

Shawn walked out onto the stage, going over to where the microphone was positioned and fumbling with it to fit his height perfectly.

"Wow!" he laughed, looking out into the crowd of swooning people. "What's up guys! I'm Shawn Mendes--I mean--y-you probably already knew that--because like--you came here to watch me--uh, ha, ha. Anyway, thank you so much for coming!"

He finished off his short introduction before he started to perform. Every chord he played and every note he sang made me even more proud of him.

The biggest smile adorned his face as his fingers sprung off the strings, beautiful music echoing throughout the medium-sized auditorium.

Once he finished his set, you could see it was a sad parting between him and his crowd. They were all so excited to be there, watching him perform. I couldn't blame them, though. He was, as I said, phenomenal.

Several times Shawn had glanced over at me (standing backstage at the verge of tears of how proud I was and viewing his concert) with wild eyes, filled with both excitement and stress. The amount of people watching was, in fact, overwhelming.

It was quite a thrill to witness. He has the ability to do what he loves for hundreds of people. It's rare that you'd get the chance to share your talents with the world, but if you do, it's the best feeling anyone could imagine. That's what Shawn told me, anyway.

"They loved you!" I squealed as Shawn stood still, staring off into the distance as he reevaluated his entire concert.

"I guess so," he chuckled, untangling himself from his guitar strap.

"You 'guess so?!'" I exclaimed.

He just shrugged, so I tackled him with a hug, which caused him to topple backwards before he quickly regained his balance.

"I'm so proud of you," I breathed into his shoulder, relaxing in his embrace.

His fingers ran up and down my back, calming me. "Thank you for being here and supporting me through this."

I pulled away, dropping to my feet, my hands still loosely chained around his neck. His arms were wrapped around my body, pressing me against him.

"Of course, Shawn. I'm so happy that you're doing what you love, and I don't mind one bit being a part of it every step of the way, just as long as you're happy."

"I'm pretty happy." he nodded as his calloused fingertips traced across my jawline and to my hair, placing a carefully straightened strand of my chocolate brown hair behind my ear.

A grin automatically appeared on my face, and he smiled back down at me before he leaned in to attach his taunting lips onto mine. He firmly gripped my face between his hands as he sighed comfortably beneath my touch.

"Shawn!" Karen, his mother, beckoned as she came running backstage.

I took a subtle step back after unlatching my lips from his, allowing her to engulf him into a bear hug, and plant dozens of sloppy kisses across his face.

"I'm so proud of you, honey! You were absolutely amazing!" she stated, moving away in which allowed Aaliyah to pounce onto him, Shawn taking her weight with facile ease.

"You were great," she said quietly as he set her down.

Manny clapped him on the back, flashing an accomplished grin and nodding with approval. "Good job, son."

"Thank you guys so much, it means a lot coming from you all." Shawn said as his eyes skimmed across the four of us.

"What'ya say we go grab some dinner?" Karen broke the silence. It seemed that she was directing the suggestion to only the Mendes', but then her wide, cheerful eyes landed on mine. "Does that sound okay?"

"Yes! That would be a perfect celebration." I agreed as she slung her purse over her shoulder amd jangled her keys between her fingers. "Let's get going, then!" she said.

Soon we were all cramped into her car, on our way to some Italian restaurant.