35. Surprise

"Hi, Ian!" I said after running into him in my history class.

"Hey, Olivia! Oh yea--you're coming to Shawn's surprise goodbye party, right?"

"Um, I didn't get the information..."

"You didn't? I thought I texted you? Guess I have the wrong number. Anyway, it's tonight at the pizza place down the street."

"Oh... yea... and why are we saying goodbye?" I asked, somewhat attempting to not sound clueless, even though I was, and I sounded clueless anyway.

"Because... he's going on tour," he said, a little taken back by my strange question.

He's going on tour? That's amazing! But why wouldn't he tell me? Obviously there's something there that he didn't want me to know--but then again--why wouldn't he tell me? Nonetheless, I'm so happy for him, because he's following his dreams and that's all I've wanted for him.

"Oh--oh of course--I know that I just--I meant--never mind, I'll be at the party." I said hesitantly, finding an empty desk and settling in.

My new history teacher babbled on and on, and I found myself in deep thought, not about what he was talking about, but about the surprise party, and about Shawn's supposed tour. How was I totally oblivious to this? Maybe if I had actually been on social media I would have known this...

Then I had my Spanish class, in which I shared with Shawn. I was going to bring it up, but then I decided I was going to wait for him to tell me about his tour, and/or show up and surprise him by being at the surprise party with everyone else.

Shawn ate lunch with me, he didn't have much to say so I just kept going on and on about my new classes. Every now and then he'd insert his commentary and we'd laugh, but that was all.

After school, Shawn dropped me off at my house, oblivious to the fact that I would see him again later that night, at his surprise party. So as I climbed out of the seat, he grabbed my hand, my head turning towards him. His eyebrows raised, yet a serious look sat upon his face. "Hey, Olivia?" His thumb swirled patterns against my skin,"I love you," he reminded, and I smiled gently at him, leaning in, my lips meeting his for a slight moment before I got out, cherishing the last few seconds where our hands were touching.

His car sat in my driveway until I was inside, and I rushed into my room, tossing my backpack onto the floor as I peeked through the blinds. His Jeep still sat in my driveway, his head in his hands before he lifted them off of his face, his chest rising and falling slowly before he started the car back up, driving off out of sight. I frowned. Why was he so sad? What else was I missing?

Right as I went to fiddle with the promise ring that usually clad my finger and was absent today, I rushed into the bathroom to find it resting safely where I left it, and slipped it back on with a sigh of relief.

I thought back to the night he gave the precious item to me, remembering the promise we made to each other and suddenly I felt so serene...

The simple assigned marimba ringtone derived from my phone, shaking me from my daydream. I glanced over to see the caller ID. It was Laur. Curious, I answered.

"You know, don't you..." she muttered, her soft voice ringing uneasily.

"Yes, Laur, I know. It's okay, don't stress, it isn't your fault. I'm not worried about it. I'm still going to his surprise party, it'll be an even better surprise with me there!" I replied.