Chapter 2

LENA

The wine was following well, and I felt light-headed. I stumble around my room, grabbing my purse so we can leave for the Halloween party.

I head downstairs, where I find my friends Whitney and Sasha. The front door huddled them together.

We were going out to celebrate my birthday.

As I stepped closer, Whitney looked over at me and smiled. "You ready?" she asked.

I gave her a nod and sighed.

The thought of going out was overwhelming. I didn't want to celebrate my birthday as it reminded me I was alone. I had no family, as they were killed when I was ten. It used to be my brother and parents, but one night, a crazed man, who the police never found, took them from me.

"Lena," Sasha called out, bringing me out of my mind. I looked at her and smiled. "Sorry, just—"

Sasha shook her head and gave me a sympathetic look. "It's okay if you don't feel like going," she said, glancing at Whitney. I let out a sigh and shook my head. They wanted to celebrate with me, and I couldn't let them down. "I'm going, but if I don't feel comfortable there, I'm leaving," I said.

Neither of them said anything but nodded.

Whitney opened the door to my apartment, and we all walked outside.

The cold breeze hit and sent a shiver right through me.

Why did we have to wear revealing clothes?

I glanced down at myself. I was wearing a witch costume with a corset, which pushed my breasts up. The skirt was ripped at the edges and had a slit up one side, which revealed my thigh-high boots. My blonde hair was curled and pinned to the side.

Whitney did my make-up and made it all dark. I looked more like a zombie witch than normal, but I would do or wear whatever they thought was right. I trust these two more than anything.

Sasha unlocked her car, and we all climbed inside. "I will drive us there," she said as she started the engine. Her eyes met mine. "We all can walk home together unless we find someone to hook up with."

I rolled my eyes. There was no way I was hooking up with anyone.

An image of my ex, Keegan, popped into my head, making me shudder. He was the only boyfriend I have ever had. He liked to verbally and physically abuse me, only hitting me where people would never see the marks.

One night, he went out drinking and attacked me. I passed out because of the attack, but when I came, Sasha and Whitney explained they found me, and Keegan was sent to prison, where he had been for the last three years.

I was relieved but still scared that I would find someone like him again.

Sometimes, I have wanted to be with someone because I was lonely, but that was never a good reason in my eyes to be with someone.

Sasha drove to the party and parked not too far from where the party was being held. We climbed out of the car. Whitney and Sasha walked ahead of me while I kept close.

There were loads of people already there.

As we walked inside, a guy giving out some blood-looking drinks created us. I took one as the man took it upon himself to check me out and whistle. "Baby," he murmured as he looked back at me. "Where the hell have you been all my life?"

I frowned as Whitney walked up to him and kissed him on his cheek, which made him look at her with a grin. "Woo, I do like a girl who knows what she wants," he murmurs as she guides him away from us.