Chapter 36

LENA

All my memories flooded like that. Every so often, Emmett appeared in my life throughout. But he took all memories away when it became hard for him.

The second time I saw him was on the beach with friends two years after the attack. I was twelve or thirteen. The Police put the attack down to a home invasion gone wrong and I was lucky to survive it. I did what Mike told me, that's what I thought.

Emmett appeared and only talking to me, nothing else. He asked me how I was, acting like we were friends for years. We talked about various things until he left and told me to forget about him again.

It happened every two years. He would show up. He even became my teacher at one stage. Staying for six months, and even became my tutor. Nothing ever happened. He would care for me. He made me feel safe and then he would leave.

When I turned nineteen, it happened again, but it was different. He was different.

Like before, it was like a motion picture running through me. Every memory that disappeared came flooded back and I was on the sidelines watching it all unfold once again.

FLASHBACK

Looking at myself in the mirror, I twirled around and smiled. It was my birthday party. Whitney and Sasha, my friends since high school, were throwing me a birthday party when they realized I hadn't had any parties since the last one, which was when I was ten.

Mum wanted to celebrate the fact that I had hit double numbers. We had all my friends there.

Staring at myself in the mirror, when Whitney gasps. "Lena," she said, coming up to me. "You look gorgeous."

I smiled.

"You think?" I said, looking at her.

Whitney smiled and nodded. "Yeah, you do," she said. "You never know, you might find someone tonight." Pulling a face, I knew that would not happen. Everyone who was coming had things for Sasha and Whitney more than me. I was the one who tagged along with them.

"Come on," Whitney said with a sigh. "Everyone's downstairs. They are waiting for the birthday girl."

I nodded, stepping away from the mirror, and headed toward the door. I followed Whitney down to the lounge, where everyone was.

Music erupted, and everyone enjoyed themselves. Whitney led me to the dance floor, grabbing a drink when someone walked past with two. We danced in the middle.

After a while, I wandered off and headed to the stairs. Looking around, my eyes landed on the girls who were with men. I watched them for a moment, craving what they wanted.

Wanting to escape, I walked back to my room and closed the door. As much as I was happy they did the party, my heart felt heavy. It always did when it came to special occasions. My mind always went to my parents and Mike, wishing they were here with me. Wondering what each of them would be like or doing. Mike had his whole life ahead of him.

I walked over to my bed and sat down. I moved up the bed till I leaned against the headboard, grabbing my teddy and placing it to my chest. There were a few photos in my room. I shared a house with Whitney and Sasha, but when everything happened with my family, I was placed with a family friend. We took what I could and everything else went into storage. When I was old enough to leave and live on my own, everything from my family home came with me.

My eyes went to the photo of the four of us when the door opened and the most handsome man came in. He looked up at me but stopped. "Sorry, darling," he said. "I was looking for the bathroom."