Chapter 35

LENA

The darkness was unbearable.

There was nothing. I felt trapped.

For a while, it was me, but something was happening. Something that felt like a dream. Flashes of my life flooded past me like a home movie.

Memories of what my life was like until one came to me, the one that I had no recollection of. But it was replaying before my very eyes while I stood on the sidelines, watching the horror unfold.

FLASHBACK

"Mum, can I have some chocolate?" I pleaded, looking toward the counter where all the chocolate and cakes were located. My mum held my hand tight, looking over to the counter where the shop owner was staring. He smiled.

"Maybe later," she said, glancing at me with a tight smile. "We only need a few things. Besides, your father and brother are waiting for us outside.

I frowned. "We can get some for daddy and Mike," I said, glancing back at the counter again.

"Lena," my mum said.

"Not tonight. We need to go home. You have school tomorrow."

I said nothing. Mum walked around, grabbing what she needed from the shop. It was our local one, so it wasn't the big superstore. We were only grabbing some stuff for dinner.

We head to the counter. Mum puts the basket up on the counter and the man rings the items through. I watch until the bell to the store rings out. I look toward the door and see three men walk in.

They looked at the counter, but I noticed one staring at me. I move toward my mum and grip her hand.

Being ten, I was small for my age and I still liked unicorns, but if anyone from school came over to my house or even asked me, I would lie.

Mum paid for the items and we both walked to the door.

"There you both are," dad said, pushing off the wall and smiling. "I thought you were getting the entire store."

I giggled, while my mum playfully slapped his shoulder.

Mike rolled his eyes and frowned. "Come on," he said. "My friends will not wait for me to play on the game."

My father stared at him and sighed. "Teenagers!" he murmured, making Mike roll his eyes again.

My father grabbed the bags from my mum while we all started back home. Dad thought it would be perfect to go for a walk when my mother mentioned that she needed some food for dinner. Mike was reluctant because his smelly friends wanted to play online games with him.

There were four years between us, but we still had a good relationship.

When we arrived home, Mike and I bolted up to our rooms. "I'm getting food on," mum called out. "Shall be ready in an hour?"

"Okay," we said together, running into our rooms. Slamming the door behind me, I went over to my bed and grabbed my book. I was into reading Enola Homes, my favourite detective.

I sat on my bed. As I opened the book, music from next door came, which meant Mike was on his game. Rolling my eyes, I grabbed my headphones from my bedside. I placed them on, placing some soft music on while opening my book, and started to read it.

After three chapters, there was a loud noise that broke through my headphones. I pulled them out when my brother came bursting through my room and closed the door. His eyes were wide. I stared at him. He looked frightened. I have never seen him like this frightened before. "Lena," he whispered, placing his finger on his lips. He came closer and pulled me up from the bed. "We need to hide."