Chapter 11

EMMETT

I reached the bottom of the stairs and stared at the man who caused all this.

They chained Marshall to the wall of the foyer. His eyes were blood red as he glared at me.

I move toward him but stop in the center of the room and growl. "Everyone gather around," I shout.

Everyone comes around and stares. A few people murmured, wondering what the hell was going on.

"Quiet," I growled, making the whole foyer go quiet. My eyes scan around. "You may wonder why Marshall is chained here," I said. "As he mentioned before, I have a human here."

Murmurs erupted around as I circled, but I ignored them and continued. I knew I had to tell them the truth.

My eyes scan around. "It is true," I said. "I have got a human girl here. But there is a reason. Fifteen years ago, I met my mate."

There were some shocked expressions, but some were confused. "You found your mate!" one shouted. "You lie. Why would you wait for so long to claim her?"

I growl.

"I will answer all questions," I shouted, but my eyes went to Marshall. "I couldn't claim her because my mate was too young to be claimed when I found out. I had to hide in the shadows and watch her."

My eyes darted around as I carried on. "I had to watch her live her life—" I said, but someone started laughing.

"Oh, how sad!" Marshall chuckled, making me turn around and glare at him. "We don't care about your pathetic human mate, and if you hadn't stopped me, I would have drank her."

I growl as I stroll toward him; my fangs prod through, but he continues.

"You are not in charge of us," he gritted out. "Not anymore. You can't control everyone here. We don't have to follow your rules, not anymore. We're vampires, not your slaves or people you can walk all over."

Growls erupted around the foyer as I stopped in front of Marshall. His eyes bore back as anger flared. "No one will stand by and let you kill me," he growled.

"We will see," I grit as I lunge at him and grip his shoulders, forcing him to the ground, to his knees.

I looked around; everyone was glaring at me. I didn't care, but they needed to learn I was in charge. "ENOUGH!" I shouted, anger fueling my veins. "Does anyone else believe everything spewed out of Marshall's mouth?"

Looking around, there were a few nodding their heads, which only made my anger grow. "Fine," I growled. I move back and let go of Marshall and step back. He stays still and where he is, as a smirk inched the corners of his lips.

"You think I will let all of you leave?" I growl, making them all tense. "I won't. There are rules in place, so no one knows about us. I give you blood when there are no humans around. I keep us and even live amongst the humans. Most of you have lives outside here amongst them."

My eyes lingered between a few as I noticed a few people were changing their minds. "I opened my home to you all," I growled. "I made this a place where you can all feel safe, and I have never made out I am your boss or leader. I use my own funds to help you all. To keep a roof over your heads. Make sure there are enough blood bags."

I turn to look at Marshall and glare. "And you," I gritted. "I opened my home to you and your sister. I made sure you had blood and a place to stay, especially when the hunters were after you. Who killed them?"

Marshall stared at me blankly. I knew I had him. Hunters chased him and his sister here, which led to Gage and me killing them. They were weak from hunger when they arrived. I gave them a room each and food.