Chapter 4

LENA

Fuck.

I was kissing the good-looking Greek god.

This has to be a dream, surely.

His tongue licks my bottom lip, and I open my mouth, letting him have access. His tongue slides in and roams my mouth, fighting for dominance. His hands gripped my hips tight.

After a few seconds, Emmett returns and pecks my lips before placing his head on mine. "Mmm..." he said as his eyes met mine, and smiled.

"I could do that all day," he said, making my stomach flutter.

What the hell is this guy doing to me?

I clear my throat and lean back slightly, but Emmett stares at me. His eyes bore back. "So, what do you do for a living?" I asked, trying to make a conversation with him.

Emmett smiled but still didn't move away. His head moves to the side as he studies me. "I own some businesses," he said. "But I'm in real estate as well. I have many properties around."

My eyes widened.

Well, he must be rich.

Emmett looked at me and smiled. "What about you?" he asked. "I know you like painting, but what else do you do?"

I let out a sigh. "I work in a cafe shop," I say as my eyes linger on him for a moment before I continue. "Boring, I know," I said, shifting slightly from one foot to another. My boots were killing me.

"I work there part-time," I said, looking toward the house. "It's not the best job and not what I wanted to do with my life, but it pays towards the bills."

I felt Emmetts' eyes on me, but I didn't look back.

"I used to work in an art gallery," I murmured, looking back at him. His eyes were soft. "But the owner fired me two weeks ago."

"Why?" Emmett blurts, causing me to tense slightly. I didn't want to discuss this topic, as it only happened recently. I loved art more than anything, but my boss was a dick.

"My boss is a painter," I said with a sigh. "He stole one of my works, and when I confronted him, he fired me."

Emmett's face hardened.

"What a dick?" he growls, making me stare at him in confusion. Why would he act like that? It didn't happen to him.

"Who knows?" he grits out.

My eyes furrowed. "No one," I murmured. "I was going to convince him to take me back after it happened. But I know it's no use. He made a big show of it in front of clients—degrading me as a wannabe artist."

I watched as Emmett's body tensed. I move my hand and give his hand a squeeze. His eyes moved to mine as he let go of the breath he was holding. "Sorry," he murmured. "I—"

I shook my head, cutting him off. "Don't be sorry," I said. "This is why I didn't tell anyone, especially not my friends Whitney and Sasha. They would have killed him if they knew."

His eyes soften. "They sound like good friends," he said. A smile slid across my lips.

"They sure are. The best of the best," I said, thinking I should return to the party to find them.

Emmett moved back slightly but placed a hand on my waist. His finger drew circles over the costume's material, but it raised slightly, exposing some of my thigh. His finger touched my thigh, causing a ripple of tingles to shoot through my body, sending a cold shiver through me.