Chapter 39

EMMETT

A WEEK LATER

My eyes darted to the side, knowing I had gone further than planned, but I didn't want anyone to see me. I move further into the alleyway and hide in the grim doorway of the abandoned building that has been my hiding place for the last two days. No one comes here.

The shadows have been my friend. I haven't eaten or seen anyone from the hotel since I left. Sticking to the shadows, I have been watching the humans go about their day and watching what would have been my mate's life from the sidelines.

Guilt riddled me with the mere thought of my mate. I can't even bring myself to say her name out loud.

Shaking my thoughts, something smashes outside of where I am. I looked back at the door I had just entered and sighed.

Voices came, but it was the frightened voice of a terrified woman that made me stop and listen in.

"Please," she whimpered. "Let me go. I won't tell anyone."

There was a loud chuckle while someone spoke. "That's not how this works, sweetheart," a man said, sounding amused. "You saw us feed and now we have to kill you."

"You know what we are," another man said.

I heard the woman's breath become more laboured.

Moving toward the door, I spotted the scene that was unfolding before me. There in front of me were three vampire men surrounding a human woman who looked no older than her late teens. Her eyes were darting to each one.

There was no way I could let this carry on. I'm not letting another human get killed or turned when it is against their will.

"What should we do with her?" the third man said while I stepped out from the shadows. Cocking my head to the side, I studied the men before me. I was older than them, which was an advantage. I knew how to kill them quickly, but there were three of them, and I hadn't eaten for a week. There was a possibility of wanting the woman.

The woman screamed, pulling me from my deranged thoughts.

"We could—" the one man said, licking his lips.

"How about leaving the young girl go?" I shouted, cutting the disgusting idiot off. All three spun around and looked at me. "Who are you?" one growled. "We saw her first. She is ours."

The corners of my lips curled into a smirk while looking at them. "She clearly is not a willing meal," I gritted out. "She told you she didn't want anything to do with you all."

None of them said a word, only growled. But I didn't care.

"Besides," I said, moving my head to each side. "I don't want her. She should have a choice."

"Well, she doesn't," the other one shouted, growling louder.

I was getting fed up with this.

My fangs prod through my gums, and using my speed, I gripped two of them. Their eyes widened before I launched them into the two wooden pointy things above the woman. Both men hit them straight through the heart. Both men crumple into ash before my eyes. The woman screamed and went to the floor while I turned my attention to the third man, who placed his hand in surrender.

"Please," he pleaded. "I won't touch her. I'm sorry."

Bearing my fangs at him, I hiss loudly. "GO!" I shout, glaring at him. "If you ever show yourself near here again, I will kill you."