Chapter 28

EMMETT

Lena cleared her throat but didn't move from the embrace. It felt right. "Yeah," she whispered. "Let's go."

I grinned, pushing her out of the doorway gently. Closing the door behind me, I placed my hand on her lower back and motioned for her to move. "Where is the new room?" she asked, walking back with me to the stairs.

"On the top floor," I muttered, taking the stairs with her. "It's larger than all the rooms combined here and will be safer for you."

Lena nodded.

We walked further until we got to the top. My eyes stayed on Lena, who was looking around, until her eyes landed on the door. She moved toward it and stopped, glancing at me with a smile. "Can I?" she asked.

I grinned. "There is no need for you to ask," I said, placing my hand on her shoulder. "This is your room now."

Lena nodded and placed her hand on the door handle. She opened it and stepped inside. As her foot went inside, she stopped and looked around. Closing the door, I stepped to the side and walked around her. I moved to the side and leaned on the dresser, holding her TV. My eyes went to Lena, who looked like a deer caught in the headlights. Her mouth was wide open and taking in all of her surroundings.

I felt nervous, wondering if she liked it.

"What do you think?" I asked, pulling her from her thoughts. Her eyes met mine. The corners of her mouth curled up into a smile. "I don't know what to say," she murmured, her eyes landing on something. "Thank you."

If this old heart of mine was still beating, I knew it would have jumped out of my chest by now.

Lena moved slowly toward me, her eyes landing on the painting behind me. "How did you—" she asked, stopping before me. I kept my eyes on her when I spoke. "I had loads of them," I said, making her look at me. Her eyes widened.

Moving from the dresser, I stepped toward her. I placed my hand on her waist. Lena moved her head to the side and stared at me. "I have been a fan of the artist," I muttered. "I think she captures every detail of what she has in mind."

Lena stared at me, but she was emotionless. There was something there that made me wonder if I overstepped on something. "You like the artist," she whispered.

I nodded, closing the gap between us. Placing my hand on her face, I gently skimmed my fingers over her skin. Tingles erupted through me, sending my body into a ignited mess. I needed her, and now.

I moved my face slowly toward her, keeping my eyes on hers. "I believe the artist is special and talented," I whispered.

My mouth was mere inches away from hers. "I think I need—" I whispered. My lips moved onto hers, touching hers. I kiss her softly, but my grip on her waist tightens. Running my tongue along her bottom lip, Lena granted me access, and I slid my tongue in, roaming every inch and taking our kiss deeper. My hand on her face moves into her hair and balls her hair, gripping her tight, moving her back until Lena hits something.

Lena pulls back, panting. Resting my head against hers, I look down, making her eyes widen slightly. I move and look at the reflection of the balcony door. My eyes were blood red. Closing them, but I felt a hand on my cheeks. "Open them," Lena whispered. "I want to see the real you."

My eyes flew open, and I stared down at her. Her hand stays on my cheek while her eyes bore back into mine.

There was silence between us—all I wanted to know was what was running through that pretty little head of hers, whether she was scared. I wanted to know.