Chapter 19

EMMETT

I knew she would want to know. I didn't want Claudia to tell her; I wanted to.

Clearing my throat, I stared at her for a moment. "Mate," I said. "Well, a mate is a soulmate for us supernaturals."

Lena looked at me, confused. "A soulmate?" she asked. "Other supernaturals. What do you mean by that?"

I stared at her. "Supernaturals," I said. "Werewolves, vampires, dragon shifters, witches. You name it, they are all real."

Lena's mouth dropped open as she stared at me.

God, she looks cute when she is confused.

Shaking my thoughts away, and look at the food on the plate. "Are you done, darling?" I asked, motioning to the plate.

Lena gave me a nod as I pushed the plate away from her. She ate little. "Have you seen any other kinds?" she asked as my eyes met hers. I smiled as I leaned back in my chair.

"Yeah, I have," I said. "Werewolves and witches, mainly. I know Gage had a run-in with a bear shifter a few years ago."

Her eyes widened. "A bear shifter," she whispered.

I nodded.

"They are like werewolves, but whereas a werewolf will shift into a wolf shift," I said. "They shift into bears. There are few others around, but I haven't seen that many."

Lena stared at me and nodded. "Wow!" she said, looking at me. "A whole new kind of world that no one knows about."

I gave her a smile. "Yeah," I said. "No human knows about our kind or the others. Not unless they are mates. We try to keep all humans at arm's length. We don't want humans to get scared of us."

Lena nodded as her eyes softened. "I wouldn't say anything," she murmured.

The room fell silent as she looked at me and then looked around the room.

"Why don't we go for a walk outside," I suggested, making her look back at me with a smile.

"I would love to," she said.

Moving up from the chair, I held my hand out to her, and she took it. She stood up and smiled. I led her to the dining-room door and opened it. We walked out and went toward the front door.

I opened the door, and we walked outside. It was now dark, and I knew where to take her—the pond. It was only a few yards away and it looked magical in the moonlight.

I guided onto the path as her hand held mine. Tingles rippled through me. I was on cloud nine and floating. Being with Lena, right here and right now, made everything feel all so real. I have dreamt about this for the last fifteen years and now it is happening. It feels like a dream.

"So," Lena said, breaking the silence between us. I looked at her as her eyes met mine. She smiled. "As a vampire, how to you feed?" she asked.

I grin. "We mainly drink from blood bags," I murmur as her eyes scrunch together at what I had said. "How do you get them?" she asked, looking around till she met my eyes again.

"Well, a few of the vampires that live with me," I said. "Whitney and three others, actually. They all work in a few local hospitals. We have a supplier there who gives us what we need. It doesn't affect the humans."

Lena stared and looked at me, surprised.

"Whitney?" she asked. "She's a nurse. She doesn't hurt the humans that she looks after."