Chapter 22

EMMETT

I watched as she took every inch of my office until her eyes went behind me.

Her eyes grew slightly with the recollection of the painting. It was one of her favourite paintings back then, but I had to have it.

"It brings the office beautifully, doesn't it?" I said, making Lena look back at me with a smile.

"It sure does," she said as she got comfy in the seat. She places the notebook that she was holding on the table by the side and looks back at me.

Looking toward my desk, and in front of me is her plate. I motioned it to her when I met her eyes. "Eat," I said. "I will explain what your surprise is."

Lean moved closer to the desk and picked up the bowl. I had the chef make her favourite pasta dish—carbonara. Her eyes went to the bowl and returned to me with a smile. "My favourite," she said. "How did you know?"

"Whitney," I said, lying. I knew everything about her, but I couldn't tell her the truth. Not until we talk about her being turned, which may be long off.

Lena ate as she leaned back in the chair and looked at me. "So, the surprise," she said before she placed some pasta into her mouth.

Damn, my cock would look better in her mouth right about now.

Nope, I needed to stop thinking about her like that. Not yet. This was important.

"Well, your surprise is mainly because of what is happening in a few days," I said, leaning back in my seat as her eyes met mine. "What is happening in a few days?" she asked, placing another spoonful into her mouth.

"Well, every few years, there is a red moon," I said, making her eyes widen slightly as I continued. She needed to know the truth. It would be here in three days, and I needed her to know what would happen. "A red moon makes us supernaturals hyper-aware."

Lena stared at me, moving her head to the side. "Hyper aware?" she asked. "Like what?"

Keeping my eyes on her, I knew this would be strange for her, but it was something that happened to us every time the red moon came.

"The red moon affects each supernatural being different," I said. "Werewolves have their own traditions, and the same with other shifters. But with us vampires, we are hornier than normal and more persistent."

Lena's eyes widened. I could imagine all the scenarios she was coming up with because I had them when I turned.

I stare at her as she clears her throat. "So, you have orgies or something," she muttered, which made me chuckle. "Not exactly, even though some vampires here would love that idea. Many will leave tomorrow to be away from here as they want to be away. Others may stay and fuck, or kill whoever they want here."

"Kill?" she whispers.

I gave her a nod.

"The red moon causes whatever we feel at the time to flare ten times the fold," I said. "So if a vampire is feeding on someone who is not their mate, they are more likely to kill them."

Lena stared at me for a moment till she moved slightly. "And horny?" she asked. "What about that?"

"Well, many here have had their first red moon," I said. "And many were with loved ones or ones they were hooking up with at the time to keep them busy."

Lena's eyes bore into mine. "And you?" she whispered and cleared her throat. "What about you?"

I said nothing as I took her in and listened to her heart. It was beating faster than it should have. She was clearly excited or scared, but it was hard to tell.