Challenge

“So how long have you and this boyfriend been together?” Ridoc is shamelessly flirting with me as we sit at the breakfast table with others in our wing. I don’t mind, I can use it against him innocently enough. 

“About two years now seriously, though we’ve liked each other forever,” I answer him truthfully. 

He smiles back at me, “I’m surprised he let you join the riders quadrant. I’d never let my girl join a different quadrant than me, but especially not the riders.”

“LET ME?!” I squeal, “No one lets me do anything. I do whatever I want and you'd do well to remember that Ridoc.” Rhiannon laughs and reaches out to slap my hand across the table, “ That’s right girl.” 

Ridoc, to his credit, looks slightly embarrassed as he realizes what he’s said.  “I didn’t mean it LIKE THAT,” he tries to back track. 

I shake my head, “No harm done. I’m used to that kind of shit. Where I’m from a lot of guys WOULDN’T let their girlfriends join the riders quadrant. My two older sisters married two of them,” I snort with laughter. “It was definitely a constant disagreement between Soren and I in the months before conscription day which sucks since we won't be able to communicate or even see each other until next year. But we’re gonna stick it out.” 

Ridoc nods, “So no sex for you for what a year? At the least? That’s shit.” 

I nod as I finish the fruit on my plate, “ It is in fact shit.”

      We all finish up our breakfast and make our way outside to the area where mats have been set up for our first mat challenges. I look around and notice that all of the first years have gathered here from all wings. The challenges won’t come from within my own squad right now, they will pair up two people from opposing squads to assess our fighting skills. This is one of the days that I have been waiting for, I’ve worked hard for the last three years on my hand to hand combat in hopes of surprising people. I know that many of the fighters here, especially the ones who sport rebel relics, have been training hand to hand their whole lives but I’m fast and a quick learner. As I scan all of the cadets in the field now, there are only a handful I absolutely do not want to be paired up with. Riders who would have such a weight and height advantage on me that I don’t know if I could actually defeat them. The rest, and there are alot, I am confident I can take on this mat. I hear a crude snapping noise and everyone to my left gasps. A large first year called Jack has snapped the neck of one of the riders on my squad. The cadet to my right leans over and vomits everywhere causing me to jump out of the way and find myself face to chest with Garrick who had been trying to get to the aftermath of the death on the mat. 

“Ooomph.” Garrick grunts as I barrel into him. He grabs me by the shoulders and actually lifts me off the ground and moves me out of his way. His eyes soften for a brief moment before he goes to dart around me. But he stops, realizing that two other members of leadership are already on the mat with Jack, lifting the limp body that is laying on the ground. He stands next to me with his arms crossed in front of himself. Defensive stance. 

I turn to him, “Can he do that? I didn’t think we were supposed to kill each other out here. “ 

Garrick shakes his head, “Doesn’t matter. He may get kitchen duty or something but he won’t get in real trouble. They generally reward ruthless behavior around here so get used to it.” 

Garrick cuts his eyes down to me and takes me in. My hair is back in a tight braid with the end tucked under leaving nothing for another fighter to grab onto. I'm wearing my distributed black uniform that fits my body snugly, child bearing hips and all. “I’m Garrick, your section leader I think.” 

I nod in confirmation, “Yea, i’m in your section, third squad. My name’s Maeve.” 

Garrick smirks, “I thought so. Most of my year is a buzz with the hot new first year in flame section and I knew it had to be you.” 

My eyes fly open, did Garrick just call me hot? “Oh really,” I chuckle,  “Well this hot first year is spoken for. Spread that around for me would you?” 

The smirk leaves Garrick’s face as quickly as it popped up, “ Will do.” He cuts his eyes back to the fighting mats just as my name is called. 

“Liam Mairi. Maeve Holsten,”  The professor calls out. 

     I walk towards the closest mat and am face to face with one of the male cadets I had hoped not to get matched with. He is not as large as Garrick but definitely not small, with dirty blonde hair and strangely a smile on his face. I find that highly unusual, as he also sports a rebellion relic and you rarely see the rebel kids smile. My staff is at my back and I unsheath it and lay it beside the mat in front of Liam and I. This is a weaponless fight, the first one always is. The professors and wing leaders just want to assess our fighting skills. Liam also unarms himself and we both step onto the mat. 

     Our fight lasts only a minute before it becomes apparent to me that Liam is not only stronger than me, but also a better fighter. I am fast and that helps me miss a lot of his punches and kicks, but as soon as he gets ahold of me and tosses me down to the mat he has the upper hand quickly. I roll onto my stomach so that I can protect my face from his fists and elbows, but Liam only responds by applying a chokehold to me and rolling so that he is now on his back and I am awkwardly on top of him and defenselessly being choked. I can’t take a breath. It’s obvious that he is not using enough force to hurt me, only enough to cut off all of my oxygen. I will not yield. Liam begins to whisper to me, “Yield. Yield. Please yield.” 

I don’t yield and darkness cuts my vision off and I feel myself go limp.