Reunification Indeed

I stand in front of the floor to ceiling mirror in Rhiannon’s room and turn around again to see the full view of my outfit. Somehow, I have allowed Rhiannon and Ridoc of all people to help me get ready for Reunification Night. I am wearing a form fitting rider’s dress jacket with large copper buttons up the front and a black skirt with high slits up both sides to allow me to mount my dragon if need be. I’ve been talked into leaving my curls down with just the front pinned out of my face.

    “Girl you are smoking hot tonight!” Ridoc tells me before pushing me out of the line of the mirror so that he could fluff his hair for the fifth time.
Rhiannon nods, “ You really are, girl. That skirt shows just the right amount of thigh and your legs could send any man or woman to Maleck.”
I smile back at Rhiannon and give her my sauciest wink.  “Thanks, I  feel really good.”
Garrick’s mom’s necklace is tucked away under my jacket against my bare chest, I haven’t taken it off since Xaden gifted it to me. I don’t wear any other jewelry on my body and rub some lavender oil on my wrist and behind my ears.

     I used to always love Reunification Balls at my parents estate but tonight feels different. I attest the feeling to getting to know my fellow rider’s marked with the rebel relic since coming to Basgaith. Everything that I have been told about the rebellion in school or by my parents seems tainted now, and I don’t look forward to rubbing elbows with the likes of General Melgren and General Sorrengail for the evening. It will take copious amounts of wine ingested to make it bearable.

     I think about the conversation Garrick and I had last night while we lay naked in my bed after another round of passionate love making. I can’t seem to get my fill of how he feels inside me and hope that never changes.  I flirtingly asked him if he would be saving me a dance tonight and he looked solemn before explaining that it was best if those sporting rebel marks make themselves scarce during the celebrations. It reminds those who fought in the rebellion of those lost to it as well as the rebellion itself when tonight is to celebrate the reunification.  It frustrates me to no end that things are this way, in my opinion if you are going to demand a payment such as marks and immediate conscription to Basgaith as punishment for the rebellion then once that is fulfilled that should be the end of it. But that’s not the Navarrian way of constant mistrust and continued shunning that I have seen with my own eyes.

        “I’m going to go ahead and head downstairs," I tell Ridoc and Rhiannon.
“Don’t do anything I wouldn’t do tonight,” Ridoc says chuckling. “That doesn’t leave much!”
I leave Rhiannon’s room and enter the busy hallway, full of well dressed rider’s milling around. There is an air of excitement in the hallway and I let myself get carried away with it until I am in the dining hall. It’s decorated in the national colors of Navarre and there are gorgeous goblets and trays for the food. I grab myself a goblet of wine and a few finger foods from waiters that are roaming the room. I had taken advantage of the free morning today to ride Craobh for a while before getting ready and now I’m starving. I moan quietly as I bite into a cheese start with some sort of jam on top. It reminds me of something that my grandmother used to make and I turn to grab another from the waiter and make eye contact with a familiar scowl.

    “Father!” I say on a gasp.
My father stops mid tart grab and turns to me, “Maeve. I assumed I would see you here this evening.” He looks the same as he did 6 months ago, the last time I saw him. His long salt and pepper hair is worn tightly tied back and neat as a pin and his disapproving blue eyes are assessing me.
“What are you doing here?” I ask still trying to get my bearings about myself.
“I was invited by General Sorrengail to celebrate the reunification. She seems impressed with you, reporting to me all of your many achievements.”  My father says with a bit of pride in his voice that angers me. He has nothing to feel pride about, I’ve done all of my accomplishments here on my own or with Garrick’s help, not his.
“I’m glad that you approve, father.” I say through gritted teeth.

     There will be a time and a place for the fight that is brewing between my father and I but this public place isn’t it.
“I spoke to Dain Aetos upon my arrival. He’s done well for himself here as well.”  My father says with a twinkle in his eyes.
“He has, I believe he has eyes on the wing leader position next year and I’m sure he will get it.” I respond nonchalantly and sip my wine.
“He’d make a good husband as well, Maeve.” My father says under his breath.
I choke on my wine mid swallow and gasp for breath. Ofcourse, I should have known better than to think my father had given up his matchmaking meddling.
“Father, Dain is barely an acquaintance to me. I have no thoughts of marriage to him.” I finally manage to say.
“We’ll see about that,” my father says before waving at an elderly man in an infantry uniform and walking off.

     I drain my goblet of wine and grab another, trying to shake off the interaction when I see Violet and Liam standing off to the side of the room.
“Hey you two! Having a good Reunification Celebration?” I ask, noting that Liam is the only rebel kid that I see here.
He gives me a tight smile and Violet pats his arm, “I think we were just about to make ourselves scarce.”
“Lucky. I probably need to hang around a while, especially since I just ran into my father.” I say taking another big gulp of wine, that I’m already starting to feel go to my head.
“Your dads here?” Violet asks.
I nod, “Yea.” I look around dramatically and wave my hand, “Somewhere.”
“I’m sorry.” Violet gives me a knowing smile, because of course she gets it. Her own mother is here as well.
She and Liam turn to leave the ballroom, “Take it easy on the wine Maeve, Okay?” Liam says in parting.

     I ignore Liam’s warning and am nearly done with my second goblet of wine when Dain approaches me. “My father told me that your father wanted me to come talk to you. “ He says with a roll of his eyes.
I burst out laughing, which makes the group of well dressed people nearest me turn and glare.
“Oh did he then?!” I say with a smirk. 
“Ya. I think they are plotting our union.” Dain says wiggling his eyebrows at me like some sort of literary villain  which makes me burst into laughter again.
Dain and I both try to swallow our laughter into our goblets of wine.
“Come on, let’s give them a show then.” Dain says, grabbing my hand and leading me to the dance floor.
I know that I shouldn’t dance with Dain, but two goblets of wine Maeve loves to dance and there’s no real harm in it.

      I let Dain lead me to the edge of the dance floor and put his hands on my hips, leading me into a graceful waltz. We dance well together, both having been brought up attending balls and other excuses for needing dance lessons. We glide smoothly around the floor and I feel a bit like I am floating from all of the strong red wine I’ve consumed. I note that our father’s are standing together whispering and watching us, but that is a problem for a later date. Once word from Dain and I will shut that down immediately.
As the violin plays the last few notes of the waltz, I find myself being led into a deep dip to end the dance. Dain’s arms are tight around me, the only thing keeping me from hitting the ground and his face a meer inch or two from mine. The look on his face shoots red flags to my brain, and terror breaks through my wine fog for just a brief moment as I think that he is going to kiss me.

    Thankfully Dain thinks better of it at the last minute and swoops me back to a standing position and the group of leaders watching us break out into applause. Dain smiles and bows to me, as though we were putting on a show for those gathered around and I'm too drunk and too shocked to play my role and bow back to him. In my peripheral vision I see a large, black leather clad form stomping towards us on the dance floor and have just a brief moment of panic before Garrick’s fist is connecting with Dain’s face in front of my father and every member of Navariian leadership in attendance.