Hurt People Hurt People

Once I am declared unbroken and merely bruised, I’m released from the Healer’s area with a tin full of salve and directions to go directly to General Sorrengail’s office. I’m surprised not to run into Imogen getting treated as I leave the Healer’s. The only thing I want to do right now is climb on Craobh’s back and fly as far from this place as physically possible, but I’m most likely grounded. I suck up what little pride I have left and hold my head high as I head towards the staircase that leads to the General’s office. Thankfully, I don’t run into any of my wingmates that I will have to explain myself to. It’s a small mercy for now.

    I knock tentatively on the large wooden door that separates the General’s office from the rest of the college.
“Come in.”  I hear Violet’s mother’s voice yell.
I enter the office and immediately take the seat opposite the large oak desk that General Sorrengail is seated at. I’ve never been in much trouble before, so I’m a little unsure of what the process is here.
Whatever my punishment, I will take it without a word otherwise. My actions were absolutely unacceptable, to attack a member of my own wing is unheard of at this stage in the game. Personal feelings aside, we are supposed to be a unit, and I have not been acting like one.
General Sorrengail is staring at me and not speaking I realize, obviously accessing me. Her fingers are pressed together in a triangle in front of her chest and I get the feeling that she wants me to speak first.
“I’m very sorry for attacking my wingmate General. She is the one who broke Violet’s arm and I’ve had a hard time letting go of some things. It won’t happen again.” I quickly word vomit out.

     “Holsten is it? As in Lord Holsten?” General Sorengail finally says.
“Yes, ma’m. Lord Holsten is my father.”  I answer slightly confused.
“Mmmhmm, I know him. You look a bit like your mother, more so than your older sisters.” General Sorrengale begins looking through a small stack of papers in front of her.
I just nod in response, I’ve heard how much I favor my mother my whole life. She has the more wild red haired, northern features where my father has the more light haired aristocratic features my older sisters bare.
“I see here that you’ve done well so far at Basgaith.” She shuffles more papers in front of her. “Top of your flight class, a strong bond with Craobh and good grades. Already manifested a strong signet as well. I’m honestly surprised to see you here for disciplinary action. You should be someone we are looking to for a leadership position next year.”
I nod my head again, waiting for the other shoe to drop.
General Sorrengail stops going through the papers in front of her and looks up at me again, “I hear you came to blows with a Cadet Imogen Cardulo. Now it is definitely not her first time in this office, one of the rebel youth and all.”
What does her rebel relic have anything to do with her getting in trouble here at Basgaith? I wonder to myself.
General Sorrengail continues, “Since this is your first offense and you're such an exemplary cadet I will let this one slide. If you're anything like your father, I’m sure I won’t be seeing you again for behavior like this. A word of caution however Miss. Holsten.”
General Sorrengail pauses before she continues, “Word around the college is that you have been spending more time than normal with your section leader, one Garrick Tavis.”
General Sorrengale takes her reading glasses off of her face and folds them, placing them down on the desk in front of her before making eye contact with me again. “I would suggest separating yourself from the likes of all of those sporting a rebel relic. We do not know how fully trustworthy they are and I would hate for you to get wrapped up in something over your young head. Next year you will be eligible for a leadership position here, and by year three you could easily be a wing leader setting yourself up for a pristine choice of duty station. Maybe even somewhere north, far from the fighting and close to those younger sisters you cherish so much. As long as you make the right choices from here on out, the possibilities are endless Maeve.”