Courtyard Confessions

*Author's note- In this chapter I introduce Garrick’s family, something that in canon we know nothing about. Please be kind! When I started writing this story I had no idea how far I would get with it, but I knew that there would be points where I would have to make something up about Garrick, as he is an existing character in Rebecca Yarros’ universe. Any ideas about his signet or his family are my own. *

           Life falls into an even rhythm of classwork and riding Craobh as often as I can. I live to be in the air, and it’s no surprise that I am at the top of the class in riding. Professor Kaori commends me daily on the strides I am making with not only my riding, but also my bond with Craobh. Signets manifest daily, with newly bonded riders often falling out in the middle of classes. I try to will my signet to show up, but it seems to not be ready. I’m not the only one, Violet and I commiserate together in the evenings.

         I manage to catch a few sacred moments with Garrick throughout the week but, like he warned me, he and Xaden were scarce at Basgaith. By Friday, I am missing his presence more than I thought I would. I remember my desire to check out some of the stories in the Archives, and head that way as soon as my last class lets out for the weekend. I smile at the quiet scribe as I arrive, and head in the direction she points me for stories of lore.

       There are thousands of available books, an overwhelming amount if I’m honest. I walk up and down the stacks, running my hand over the leather spines, occasionally I pull one out and admire the cover. I eventually land on a book with a stunning cover etched with a golden filigree along the edges and stunning artwork inside of it. I find an oversized readers chair in a deserted section of the archives and curl up in it.

“PLEASE TELL ME YOU ARE NOT READING SILLY DRAGON TALES WRITTEN BY HUMANS.”

No, I reply to Craobh. This one is about a little witch who must learn a spell to save her sister, apparently.  Now leave me be, I want to read my story.

Craobh audibly grunts, “I WILL BE OFF HUNTING IN THE MOUNTAINS, IF YOU FIND YOURSELF IN TROUBLE SEEK THE SECTION LEADER.”

I roll my eyes, Garrick is way too busy right now to worry about any trouble that I could find in the Archives of all places. But I know better than to argue with Croabh, if I have learned anything in the last week, it was that. 

       I lose myself in the story, it feels wonderful to turn my brain off for a while. The light dies from the large windows and the only light to read by is that of the candles that are lit everywhere. Hours must pass, but I don’t notice, lost in one of my favorite pastimes. I have always enjoyed reading, it was the best way to escape for a young girl who expected to act proper all of the time. I can’t wait until next year when I can go into town. I want to purchase new books for Maude and Raine once I am able to correspond with them. Maybe I will try to find this one, as the sisters' good hearted bickering even after one gets turned into a toad, reminds me so much of them.

          Heavy footsteps pull me out of the fantasy world I have been in and I look up to see Garrick’s towering frame.
“You weren’t at dinner. I’ve been looking for you, and I remembered you mentioning you like to read.” He explains.
I uncurl myself from the large chair and stand up to wrap my arms around him, “I didn't know you were back.”
I notice that he flinches slightly as I hug him, “Are you hurt?” I ask him frantically.
He grimaces, “Already been to a healer, so I’m just sore.”
I grab his arms and start looking at him once over, as though I will see a massive wound, “But you were hurt?”
Garrick grabs me and pulls me into a tight hug again. He leans down to whisper in my ear, “Yes, I took an arrow to my side. A healer I know patched me up. But Maeve, the supply run shouldn’t have involved any combat, so……”