Gauntlet Eve

The next morning I dread going to Battle Briefing so much that I almost skip it. I could claim nerves about tomorrow's Gauntlet run or the stomach illness that has recently begun running rampant through the first years. A variety of excuses would be acceptable for me to not have to see Garrick today. It's the only time that I'm really forced into a small space with him that I can't get out of right now and after last night's little one man show, I don't know if I can meet his eyes. But I suck it up, because the bigger goal here is to become a successful rider and I'm not going to do that hiding of embarrassment in my room. There's no way that Garrick could know what I did last night, that I imagined it was him getting me off instead of my own fingers.

As I sit down in my seat next to Violet and Rhiannon I purposely don't look to the back of the room, where I know Riorson and his group will be seated. I don't have to look to feel the glare though, but it doesn't quite feel the way it feels when I know Garrick is looking at me. Garick's gaze feels like a tingling down my spine, this feels like a slap. I can sense the anger in a way that alarms me. My fingers tingle slightly, which is a really strange reaction, so I turn to meet the eyes that are sending me silent knives into my back. I'm met with the second year with the pink hair that sports the rebellion relic, the one who broke Vi's arm the first day. Immogen, I think her name is. 'What the fuck', I think. What problem does Immogen have with me? We've never even spoken to one another.

I raise my eyebrows and give her a slight smile, as though to say "Yes?" She pulls a dagger from her leg holster without breaking eye contact and does some sort of fancy toss and catches it.

"Turn around first year," She snarls at me.

I have absolutely no clue what I have done to this girl, but I know that I can't back down from a fight in front of the rest of the wing.

"Or what?" I ask with a smile still on my face.

She goes to raise her hand and throw the dagger in my direction when a darkness appears next to her and slams her back hand down on top of the table. I look around to see that we've drawn the attention of Xaden and Garrick in the back row. That's right, Riorson is a shadow wielder.

Immogen turns around and glares in Xaden's general direction.

Xaden appears to care less about her glaring look and just mumbles, "Play nice," before going back to a conversation with another member of leadership in the back row.

Immogen turns back towards the front of the room so fast I'm surprised she doesn't give herself whiplash, so I also turn back to the front.

"What was THAT about?" Rhiannon asks me darting her eyes between Immogen and myself.

"Not a clue. But she can take her bullshit elsewhere, I barely slept last night." I say in a sigh.

As class begins I feel the tell tale spine tingling feeling I've come to recognize as Garrick's gaze. I really don't need this shit today. I have one of the most dangerous obstacles of my life to face tomorrow and I cannot get my mind right. Maybe I should skip the gym tonight and go for a nice long run?

"Hey Aetos, want to run with me tonight after classes?" I whisper to Dain, who is seated nearby. He definitely isn't my first choice of running partner but I need someone who is going to push me.

Dain shakes his head, "Sorry, we have some last minute leadership stuff to do before tomorrow."

"I'll take you for a run baby," Ridoc yells from a few seats down and everyone in the wing groans. I can't help but smile as I shake my head; everyone knows Ridoc is a shameless flirt.

"No thanks, I'll run by myself." I shout back to him.

"Riders! Let's focus here," Professor Devera says, trying to get our group back in hand.