Reunion

I cannot force myself to turn and look at the voice that just called out, but my heart immediately reacts by jumping into my throat and staying there.  I am scared to turn, because I am terrified of what I will see. Will Xaden and Violet be standing there, mourning Garrick, having gotten out by the skin of their teeth. Tears begin to fill my eyes as I stare straight ahead. If I don’t look, then whatever is behind me isn’t happening, I can’t have my hopes and my heart crushed again.

     I hear a sharp inhale of breath from Ridoc behind me, just before I feel a gentle touch on my shoulder.
“Hey Killer.” I hear Garrick say.
Garrick’s voice. A voice that I have convinced myself that I will never hear again. My knees give in and the only thing that keeps me from falling face first into the dirt is Garrick wrapping his arms around me from behind me. I know that I can’t show weakness in front of the other cadets, but I physically cannot stand. My legs are refusing to work and I’m sure that I look hilarious trying to stand and repeatedly being let down by my own body.
“It’s okay Maeve, I’ve got you. Just relax.” I hear Garrick whisper into my ear.

    I still haven’t looked at him, I haven’t turned towards that comforting voice and allowed myself to believe that he is really here. I can hear somewhere nearby Xaden is arguing with Captain Fitzgibbons and other members of leadership but it is all distorted, like I am under water. My heart is racing so hard that I think that I am definitely dying, which is ironic. I literally climb onto the back of a dragon and fly and fight other cadets that are trained to kill, but shock is what is going to be the end of me.
“Deep breaths baby.” Garrick is still whispering calmly into my ear and I try to focus on that and the feel of his arms around my midsection as I float there slightly above the ground with my non-working legs swinging back and forth.

    “Garrick?” I finally manage to say.
“I’m right here. I’m right here.” Garrick replies softly. “I’m so sorry.”
I can’t hold back the tears anymore as Garrick apologizes for dying but not dying and I feel myself get scooped up into Garrick’s arms.
“Riorson! I am taking Holsten to the healers.” I hear Garrick yell to Xaden and feel him begin to make his way to the healers quadrant.
I start wiggling in Garrick’s arms, “No, no… I don’t want to go to the healers. I’m fine.”
“You’re not fine. I think you’re having a panic attack.” Garrick replied back still gently.
“Just give me a second, I just need a moment.” I say still trying to get down to the ground.

     Garrick finally lets me down and thankfully my legs hold me up this time. I lean against the side of the castle , on the outskirts of the flight field, shielded from those walking by. I finally turn and look Garrick in the eyes for the first time. They are full of concern and fear but they are still the same beautiful brown eyes that I have become so familiar with. I also notice that there is a fresh cut dramatically from his temple to his jaw that is still healing. I reach up with a shaky hand and gently run my thumb over the healing wound.
“Garrick….” I whisper.
Garrick leans his head into my palm and chuckles lightly, “I told you I would make it back to you. I didn’t say in what condition.”
“I can’t believe that you're here. That you’re alive.” I mumble still stroking his injured face.

    “I know. I have so much to tell you. I would have gotten word to you if there had been time, but I was hurt and then everything was so rushed.” Garrick explained quickly.
“I know. Tell me everything..” I desperately want to kiss him suddenly.
I lean up to him and he reads my action immediately, cradling my head and gently pressing his lips to mine. Gentleness isn’t enough right now though,  I am desperate to be overwhelmed by him. I press my body into his arching my back, and cling to his hair adding fire to our kiss. Garrick meets my passion with his own, and we cling to one another, battling tongues and biting each other's lips. I am melting into his body like butter on hot bread and let out a groan as I feel Garrick’s fingers trace the edge of my flight shirt.

      “Ahem.” Garrick and I jump apart as we hear someone clear their throat loudly near us.
Xaden is standing there with papers in his hand. “I thought you were taking her to the healer.” He grumbles at Garrick with a raised eyebrow.
“She seems to be okay now. Just a little surprised.” Garrick defends.
Xaden smirks, “I’m sure. Here, we got orders.” Xaden shoves the papers into Garrick’s hand.
“Orders?” I ask, forgetting that Garrick is graduating in a few days for a moment.
Garrick turns to me, “Yea. Orders for my first duty station.”
“But you were dead just this morning!” I declare nearly hysterically.
“I know.” Garrick leans towards me, and presses our foreheads together despite the fact that Xaden is standing a few feet away. “ I will still have to leave this weekend. General Melgren, he won’t care. He will want me to report for duty all the same.”

    This weekend. I have maybe two days before Garrick needs to leave. “We need to talk.” I say quietly.
Garrick nods, moving my head up and down along with his, “Yes. I’d much rather throw you on the bed and not come up for air until Saturday, but talking would be more responsible.”
My breath hitches, “Maybe we shouldn’t be responsible.” I say with a wicked smirk.
I swear I can hear the eye roll that comes from Xaden’s direction.
Garrick laughs darkly. “No, we have to talk.” He cuts his eyes towards Xaden and Xaden nods back at him.
“You’re sure?” Xaden asks.
“Maeve is a part of my life and she's not going anywhere. She has to know.” Garrick responds to him.
Xaden nods briefly again, before turning and walking off, disappearing into the crowd of cadets.

    I wrap my arms around Garrick’s neck and pull him into a tight squeezing hug. We stay like that, just holding each other as small crowds of people walk by ignoring us. Finally Garrick breaks our embrace with a quick kiss to my forehead.
“Come on killer, we really have a lot to talk about and not a lot of time. Plus, the sooner we talk, the sooner I can taste you again.” Garrick says and winks at me causing me to stumble slightly as we begin walking back into the rider’s quarters.