Threshing

*Author's Note- Up to this point I have been able to write Garrick and Maeve’s story with a certain amount of accuracy, allowing it to flow through the wonderful timeline that Rebecca Yarros has given us with Fourth Wing and Iron Flame without causing any plot holes. I am coming to a crossroads however. There are many details about Garrick specifically that Mrs. Yarros has chosen not to share with us, such as details about his family and most importantly his signet. In order for me to continue this story, I will need to develop those on my own for this story. With that being said there is a chance that with the next book Garrick’s character will become more fully developed and may contradict what I have written. In reading my work you accept that this is a fanfiction and Rebecca Yarros has full ownership and control of Garrick’s character. Her plans for him may differ from mine. Thank you all for your incredible support, I am blown away by your comments and messages and truly have enjoyed diving more into my personal favorite Tyrrish guy. *

     Threshing morning's sunrise brings with it an incredible amount of clarity. I take a deep breath and sit on the courtyard lawn and watch it rise, a symbol of new beginnings if I ever saw one. I breathe deep and let go of everything that is weighing me down. I let go of the situation with Soren for good, if I never see his face again I am okay with that. I let go of the anxiety that Soren’s words have brought me, I need to be solely focused on everything that will happen today. Focus on today and don’t borrow tomorrow’s problems, that’s what I am going forward with.

    I see Garrick’s shadow first, hulking behind me. I look up into his face and he winks at me before taking a spot on the cool damp grass next to me.
“How’s your head this morning?” He asks casually, picking up a blade of grass.
Seeing as I haven’t had any injuries recently, I know that he means mentally.
“Better than I could’ve hoped. You know that I’m really good at centering myself and compartmentalizing things.”
A smile slowly spreads across his face, giving me a glimpse of the deep dimples that most people don’t get the opportunity to see. 
“Your unbreakable calm,” he says before turning to hold my gaze with a dark look in his eyes.

You try so hard to keep this calm demeanor and I want to shatter it like glass. I want you wild and crazed and screaming for me.

His words haunt me as we stare into each other's eyes, not needing to say anything, just riding the crest of the electrical currents between us.

     I eventually break the moment, “So, what do I need to know about today? Got anything that may help me?”
Garrick goes back to picking at the grass like I broke a spell I had been holding on him, “Since you’ve already bonded Craobh, all you need to focus on is finding him in the forest. Avoid any other dragon that you come in contact with as they won’t want to bond you because of Craobh. Once you find him he will be able to talk you through any questions about mounting and flight that you have, but you're strong and shouldn’t have any problems staying in your seat.”
His eyes dart in the general direction of my ass and thighs and I swear I hear a short low moan.
I take a deep breath before I speak again, “I’m worried about Violet. What if the dragons see her as weak, and she’s so small Garrick, how is she going to stay on a dragon?”
Garrick nods, “Xaden’s worried too. He won’t say it, but I think he is beginning to care what happens to Sorrengale. I honestly can’t believe that I just said that myself.”

      I look over at Garrick and fully take him in. He looks amazing in this bright new light, his skin is the most beautiful tan and almost glowing. His dark hair is still damp from his shower and curling ever so slightly around his ears making him look younger than he normally looks.
“Violet’s mom killed your parents right?” I say with a gentleness in my voice. My eyes catch on the parts of his rebellion relic tattoo that are visible.
He nods his head briefly, “Yeah, she did. But I don’t get the feeling that Violet is really fond of the general either so I don’t hold it against her.”
“That’s really kind of you, I know that a lot of people do. I know what that feels like, living in the shadow of the sins of the father.” I stop for a moment thinking of what I just said. “Well, I guess you know what that is like better than anyone. How everyone blames you or wants you to answer for a decision that's been made, just because they’re your parent. I can promise you that at no point ever has my father asked me my opinion on affairs of state.” I chuckle trying to lighten the mood.