Another Promise

I stand at attention in full formation on the flight field, along with every other member of my squad. Garrick had taken off moments earlier to find Xaden after a quick kiss and directions for me to head to the flight field. As we all stand waiting for directions, I note that for a college under imminent attack, there is a calmness amongst the professors that are lined up in front of us. It couldn’t be a drill, could it be? They wouldn’t wake us up in the middle of the night for a drill.

       I see Garrick take his place with leadership at the front of our wing. He looks tired, which makes sense since we haven’t been to sleep yet, but there is an extra element of irritation under his eyes.
I subtly send him a questioning look and he responds by mouthing two words to me that make my blood boil. War. Games. Gods, all I want is to be curled up in bed with Garrick, sleeping off the wine that I’ve consumed and forgetting the entire interaction with my father. I do not want to be getting ready to do a War Games Challenge.

“LOOK ALIVE RED ONE, THIS IS WHERE WE THRIVE.” Craobh whispers to only me.
But it’s so late…or early. I don’t even know which one. I respond silently trying to stifle a yawn.
“THE ENEMY DOESN’T OWN A WATCH, RIDER. SO LISTEN UP, WE WILL BE DEFENDING THE WESTERN FOREST FRONT WITH THE REST OF THE FOURTH WING FIRST YEARS.” Craobh retorts.

       I stand a bit straighter, Craobh is right. I’m by far the best rider in my year on any squad, and defending the forest plays right into my signet advantage. I will look amazing today, there’s no way I am failing in this situation. Garrick notices my straighter posture and gives me an approving nod followed by the faintest hint of a smirk, that I am sure I am the only one to catch. This is my favorite thing about a connection as strong as Garrick and I have, the wordless intimate interactions where we are able to communicate with one another. I never had that with Soren, which if I am being honest feels like a lifetime ago, not just a few months ago. I’ve grown so much since then, and Garrick is definitely a huge part of that. My chest goes tight as I realize that I am definitely madly in love with the big teddy bear standing in front of me in his perfectly pressed flight leathers.

I wait for the announcement to officially be made that this is a War Games exercise and then receive a small letter with my assignment on it. I open the letter and it is just as Craobh has told me,

   Fourth Wing Will Defend The Western Front Of Basgaith, Including The Forest Up To The Castle Grounds

      Immediately I find Sawyer, Ridoc and Rhiannon and we huddle in a corner of the flight field and formulate a plan. I note that Violet and Liam are missing from our group of first years and look around searching the grounds for them.
“We should spread out to cover the most ground, 50 feet apart or so. Starting with Maeve the farthest out, over the tree line because you're the fastest flier and your signet will be most useful there.” Rhiannon says beginning to get us all organized.
I nod because it makes sense, “Hey, has anyone seen Violet? Or Liam?” I finally ask.
“Wingleader said he was taking them with his group to the front.” Ridoc says with a shrug.

      Wait a fucking second. Violet is getting to go with Garrick and Xaden?  I turn on my heels immediately and head to another cluster of second and third year riders that Xaden has hand picked for his group. All of them but Violet bear the rebel relic marking.
I see Garrick up ahead and holler his name, his back is to me but I see him stop and wait a moment before he turns to face me, almost bracing himself for what I have to say. I should care that nearly all of the rebel kids are near, within earshot, but my temper is getting the best of me and I couldn’t center myself if I tried.
“What the fuck Garrick? Ridoc said that Violet and Liam are going with you guys to the front?” I say as I walk up to him, stopping a few feet away.
Garrick cringes slightly, “Not my decision to make, Maeve. Wingleader picks his War Games squads, I’m not the wing leader.”
People are trying not to stare at us, rustling things around in their backpacks, but it’s obvious everyone is listening.
“That’s bullshit. If it was about War Games, I would be on this squad. I am the best rider in my year. Okay, I’ll give you Liam, but Violet? He’s taking Violet? She can barely stay on her dragon Garrick. She’s a liability to you.” I say a touch louder than I should.
I know that I will probably regret the fact that Violet is within earshot later, but at this moment I’m not thinking clearly.

      “Xaden can’t be apart from her, he’ll be too distracted and Tairn and Sgaeyl are better as a team,” is Garrick’s response.
“What about us Garrick? We’re a great team too. People die in War Games all the time. Man, I am so SICK of hearing about Violet and Xaden. There are other people on this wing that would be a better fit for this mission and I will die on that hill.” I say nearly yelling now.
“That can be arranged.” I hear Xaden say as he stomps over to me. 
I glare at him as he approaches and Garrick, as though on instinct, turns so that he is standing in front of me in a protective stance. I don’t even know if he realizes he does that.
“You're not thinking like a wing leader Xaden, you're thinking with your dick or your heart or something but not like a wing leader.” I say and  feel Garrick flinch.
Xaden turns to Garrick and raises his eyebrows at him, causing Garrick to turn to me and place both of his hands on my shoulders.
“Calm down Maeve. You're just pissed, and I get that. But Xaden is the wing leader, like it or not,  and we follow his orders. So go with your squad.” He tells me, but I can see the pain in his eyes. He is wishing that I was going with him just as much as I want to be there.

     “It’s not fair…” I say and a damn breaks somewhere inside me. All of the anger is gone now, and I feel like a broken pane of glass. Garrick gathers me in his arms and marches us off to a shadowy area of the flight field away from Xaden and the other prying eyes.
“Listen to me, I am going to be fine. This is a training exercise, a game they run every year before graduation. I won’t be in any real danger and I will be back before you know it.” Garrick says as he wipes tears that drip from my eyes down my cheek.
“Promise?” I ask weakly. I remember the look in Garrick’s eyes when he swore to me that he would never break a promise to me vividly.
Now, he lifts my face to meet his eyes better. “Promise.” He says with strength in his voice.

    He kisses me quick and hard then turns as though he doesn’t trust himself to linger any longer in the shadows with me. I watch him as he struts across the flight field, a head taller than most around him. He looks invincible, but I know that he’s not. He bleeds like any other rider and my heart is beating in my throat as I watch him mount Chradh smoothly. He looks over his shoulder at me, and gives me a wink before taking off into the air at breakneck speed. The rest of the riders take off as well and the sound is deafening unless you're used to it. I close my eyes. I let the harsh beating noise swarm all of my senses, and feel calm. This is what I was made for. War.
“AND WAR IS WAITING FOR US, RIDER! FIND YOUR SQUAD AND LET’S GET IN THE AIR!” Before Craobh even finishes speaking I’m running, knees to chest, back towards Rhiannon.