Aretia

Aretia. A place that I have only read about in text books and Battle Brief lessons. The last stronghold for the rebellion and home to the Riorson family home. As we coast our way into another set of hills , I don’t know what I expect to see on the horizon when we crest. The last that I knew of the fortress here, aka Riorson House, was that it was burned to the ground. So you can imagine my surprise when Garrick and I catch our first glimpse of the stone mansion that is slowly filling with riders in the courtyard.
“I thought that it was destroyed.” I whisper, not fully expecting Garrick to hear me.
“We rebuilt.” Garrick says his voice full of pride.

    Garrick and I land smoothly in the courtyard and I look around and take in everyone around me. I am surprised to see Professor Devera helping some students with their bags. She nods to me as I dismount and I smile back at her.
“You ok Holsten?” Professor Devera asks me.
“I am, thank you.” I reply.
“Actually Professor,”  Garrick says as he walks up to me and puts his arm around me with a cheeky grin on his face. “It’s Tavis.”
Professor Devera looks confused for a moment, “Yes Garrick, I know your last name is Tavis.”
Now Garrick is sporting a full face smile, “And so is Maeve’s.”
Realization slowly crawls up my Professor’s face, “You’re married?!”
I nod giddily, it feels good to tell people about Garrick and I.
“Please let me be a fly on the wall when your father finds out.” Professor Devera says with a chuckle.

     “You’ll be in good company Professor, because that is one conversation that I want to see.” Garrick and I both snap our heads to the left to see Dain walking across the courtyard and making his way towards us.
I feel Garrick’s body tense next to me as Dain approaches. “Aetos.”
“Just wanted to offer my congratulations to you guys. I’m really happy for you Maeve.” Dain says, because he is apparently going for sainthood here lately.
Garrick seems as suspicious as me because he mumbles a stiff, “Thanks,” before leading me and my full rucksack into the sprawling stone home in front of us.

      If I thought that all of the surprises were done for today, I am once again left speechless when I come face to face with Violet’s brother standing with Xaden in front of a long table in the dining area. Violet’s supposedly dead brother Brennan that is. Violet is seated, sipping a hot drink and doesn’t look a bit surprised. Apparently not all of our secrets were divulged in that stack in the Archives. Violet directs me to the seat beside her with her eyes and I take the seat and stretch my legs out. The flight to Aretia was incredibly long and I am happy to be seated in a normal chair again. Violet passes me a steaming mug of cider and I sip it enthusiastically. Garrick leans against the wall behind me and I can feel his presence around me like a warm blanket. Brennan and Xaden seem to be taking a roll of sorts, sorting out who all has arrived in our group and trying to find beds for everyone. It’s going to be a tight fit, I can tell by Brennan and some of the other’s that there are more people arriving than they were expecting.

     “We need to allow people to write to their families. We can’t leave everyone in the dark.” Xaden tells Brennan who lets out a frustrated sigh.
“Riorson. We can barely accommodate the people that arrived with you, now you are opening us up to families? How are we going to feed these people?” Brennan asks exasperated.
“So we leave them to fend for themselves? To be punished for what we’ve done?” Garrick pipes up and I know that he is thinking of his sister. I am thinking of mine as well, and wondering where my parents stand on this whole thing. Does my father even know the truth of what is happening? I am very sure that my mother doesn’t.

      “We will host a closed meeting, and take a vote.” One of the older men standing behind Brennan says. Xaden rolls his eyes and kisses Violet on the forehead, “I’ve directed some people where to put everyone for the night. Don’t wait up for me, I am going to fight to get these people’s families safe.”
I watch as Xaden and a small group of men head into a throne room and close the door before turning to Garrick. “Are you going to join them or are you coming to bed?” I ask.
“I already talked to Xaden. I’m going to make sure that you get settled in tonight.” Garrick replies.
There is a heaviness in what he says and suddenly my skin is tingling with the promise of pleasure.
“Let’s head up then.” I say draining my cider.  Violet chuckles beside me but I don’t care. She’s had her man with her most Saturdays lately, and despite my happiness in seeing her in one piece and okay, I would run her over to get to a private room with my husband.

       Garrick and I head up a steep spiral staircase to the first room on the left on the second level. I imagine, knowing these boys, that Xaden and Violet’s room is the one directly across from ours. I set my rucksack down near the end of the bed in the room and take a deep breath before I turn around to face Garrick. Just as I thought, Garrick’s eyes are full of heat when I meet them. He slowly walks towards me, until we are only inches apart.
“God I missed you.” Garrick whispers before he gathers me into his arms and lifts me until I am pressed with my back against the wall.
“I.. missed.. You.. too.” I say in between kisses. I can’t get enough of Garrick’s skin, and am running my hands up and down his big arms and back. I pull at his shirt like a frantic person until he helps me to get it off and I have free reign for his expansive naked chest. I moan as Garrick’s fingers find the buttons on my pants. He pulls them down slightly and his experienced fingers find my wet center easily. I explode within just a few touches, having craved Garrick’s touch for months now.
“Such a good girl.” Garrick growls before tossing me unceremoniously onto the perfectly made bed. “I’m just getting started.”