Trust Me

Presentation day dawns bright and clear, but I am out of bed well before the sun rises over the horizon. If I were to try to put a finger on my feelings I would say that I was more excited than nervous. As long as you showed the dragons the respect that they deserve and recognized that we were living in their world, you were generally okay. Dragons understand two things, respect and fear. I  had no issues with showing either of those emotions when facing one.

     The dining area and main hall were still empty, the cadets left obviously exhausted from Gauntlet Day and savoring some extra minutes in their beds. The solitude was fine with me this morning though, I could use a nice lifting session in the gym by myself to start my day. My muscles were alarmingly sore from the last few days and there was no solution better than some heavy weights. I am unsurprised to find the gym just as empty as everywhere else as I head to the far corner where large stacks of weights can be found.

      Taking advantage of the empty quadrant, I take my cadets shirt off, leaving me in a form fitting stretchy number that is made to go under the rest of my uniform. I set up a line of weights from lightest to heaviest and begin my lifting sets. I squat down and pick up the plate, pushing it upwards until it is above my head before squatting back down and placing the plate on the floor. I do this five times with each weighted plate before moving down the line to the next heaviest one. It’s a routine that I am very familiar with and I allow my mind to shut off and just feel the push and pull of my muscles. I find my center and focus on my breathing until I reach an almost meditative state as I lift and push. This is as close to a serene feeling as I get and my body knows exactly what to do.

       I am so centered that I don’t hear the door to the gym open and close midway through my workout. I feel the gaze though, and that’s what snaps me out of my zen like state. I turn and meet Garrick’s eyes, surprised to find him alone. Normally he is never found without Xaden or Bodhi nearby. I slam the weight I am currently working on down a little harder than necessary and raise my eyebrows at him.
“Can I help you?” I ask as he just stands there leaning against the gym wall.
“Not at all, I was just enjoying the view.” Garrick replies with a smirk and a roaming gaze.
Shit. I realize at that moment that I am not wearing my shirt and a blush creeps across my body that has nothing to do with physical exertion.
“I wasn’t expecting to see anyone!” I quickly proclaim and grab for my shirt that I have carelessly tossed into the corner. Unfortunately Garrick gets to it first and I grit my teeth as he picks it up and tucks it casually behind his back. 
“Ummmm, that’s mine. Can I have my shirt please?” I try to keep my voice level and not let him know how vulnerable I feel at this moment.
“Fight me for it,” he replies with a shrug of his shoulders, as though inconveniencing me is the most enjoyable part of his day.
“Garrick, I am not going to fight you. You have like, I don’t even know how many pounds on me and I’ve seen you fight. You’re a beast and I want no part of that.” I note that the frustration I’m feeling is starting to seep into my voice and I close my eyes and take a grounding breath. I will not give him control over my emotions, I will find my center.
“What are you doing?” Garrick asks with a raise of his eyebrows.
“Centering. So that I don’t tell you what an absolute ass you are being, when you're SUPPOSED to be my section leader and helping me. I kind of have an important day ahead of me in case you forgot.”
Garrick shakes his head, “ I didn’t forget. Chradh would never let me forget what day it is. I put in a good word for you by the way, every dragon presenting today knows you're the strongest female in your year.”

       I’m taken back by his words. Am I the strongest female in my year? I guess I hadn’t taken notice, I try to just stay focused on what I am doing and not the masses.
“Thanks I guess, but I could still really use my shirt back. I should grab a shower before Presentation.”
“Spar with me.” Garrick says, heading towards the nearest fighting mat.
I take a few more deep breaths, “Fine. If letting you beat up on me for a minute gets me my shirt back and doesn’t make me late, I’ll do it.”
Garrick chuckles, “You’re so sure that I am going to mop the floor with you?”
I give him an exasperated look, “Obviously Garrick, what am I going to do against YOU?”
He’s full on smiling now, “Maybe Maeve, just maybe, that is what I am trying to show you.”
I shut up immediately and step on the mat across from him.
Garrick nods, “First things first, you’re fast. Use that to your advantage and strike first, and when you're fighting someone as big as me you have two options. One option is to end it early, you don’t want to take too many hits from someone my size. I've seen you kicking the bags, you have a good high kick. Kick straight at the head, before they can even get a punch in.”
He begins bouncing from leg to leg in a fighting stance as I line my body up to kick him in the head. I hesitate for a second not really wanting to hurt Garrick before releasing the kick that Garrick catches with ease and we go down to the mat, his bulking frame on top of mine.
“Do not ever hold your punches and kicks, no matter who you’re fighting.” He breathes out, his face a mere inches from mine. We have ended up on the mat with him in a kneeling position in between my legs, he is obviously keeping his weight on his forearms and not allowing much of our bodies to fully align and touch.
“I didn't,” I try to lie but Garrick isn’t having any of it.
“Bullshit. I’ve been watching you for over a month now, I know how powerful you are. How strong you are. Do not ever make yourself less than what you are, not on the mat and not in life.”
I’m once again taken aback by Garricks words, he’s been watching me for a month? What the fuck is going on here?
I try to lighten the moment, “Is that why you call me killer?”
Garrick fights the smile that obviously wants to crawl onto his face,
“That’s one of the reasons. I also really enjoy the irony of someone who looks like you being a killer. It’s like this pretty, decorated vase and everyone just wants to talk about how pretty it is, but only a select few people get to know that what’s in the vase could kill them.”

      Well shit, Garrick is just full of words of wisdom today, and apparently compliments?
I am so caught off guard that I can’t help what comes out of my mouth next, “You think I’m pretty?”
I watch in real time as something dark and dangerous glazes over Garrick’s eyes. Slowly and with intention, he lowers his body down off of his forearms until our bodies are flush. His chest is like a boulder on top of me, all hard peaks and valleys and his legs are so thick that I have to spread my legs further apart to accommodate him. When we’re finally pressed together, I jolt as I feel something hard and recognizable against my core. 
“Yeah,” Garick’s voice comes out a bit lower than before, “I think you’re pretty.”
I’m left a little speechless, I mean yes I know that I am attractive. The Ridoc’s of the world make sure I am very aware, with their constant teasing and flirtation, but there’s something about Garrick thinking it that does something to me. Garrick with his serious face and dozens of patches on his flight uniform. Garrick who usually stays quiet and observes the world around him, who would obviously lay his life down for his best friend. Garrick who has those beautiful full lips that are so close to me now that it’s a miracle they aren’t touching me.

     Before my mind can take that thought too far though, I am suddenly airborne and being flipped so that I am now straddling Garrick’s wide chest.
“The second option is to play the long game. Someone my size who doesn’t keep their cardio up has no stamina. They are going to gas out, and you let them. Use your speed to avoid as many shots as you can and focus on self preservation. Then, when you see them getting frustrated or slowing down, you strike and make it count.”
He takes my fist and places it along the right side of his body, “ No matter how big someone is, ribs still break. So do faces. Make your shots count and you're strong enough to break anyone.”
I gently nod my head and whip around to my left as I hear people bustling around outside the gym door.  I do not want to be caught like this with Garrick, even if it may have been innocent enough. What if word got back to Soren somehow?

      I jump off Garrick and he follows me up. He hands me my shirt back and I quickly pull it over my chest covering my body.
“Thanks for finally giving me my shirt back,” I snap.
“I don’t like the idea of other riders seeing you like that,” he smirks.
I meet his gaze and hold it for a minute.
“Well, looks like I won’t have time to shower after all,” I say.
“Good, you smell like hard work and me. It will be to your advantage, trust me.” Garrick says as he pivots and walks out of the gym.
For some strange reason I do trust him, and isn’t that a lot to unpack.