第20章 - Body as Shield

The sun shone brightly upon the town. The townsfolk had gathered on the mediaeval on the mediaeval square to witness the impending execution of their saviour who had rescued them countless of times without asking for anything in return; Kallen Kaslana. The air was thick with tension and charged with anxiety.

The distant tolling of a church bell echoed through cobblestone streets, creating a somber backdrop for the impending spectacle. The condemned, Kallen Kaslana, knelt on the wooden scaffold, clad in her tattered garments, her eyes reflecting resignation and acceptance of her imending fate.

Her hands were tied in thick ropes tightly, shutting off any use or movements of her hands. Agents of the old Schicksal stood around in the parameters, making sure the execution went without a hitch.

People were murmuring amongst themselves, unable to believe that the public execution of Kallen Kaslana was being held in the town's square

"It's impossible that Kallen committed this crime. There must be something wrong about it."

"Two years ago, it was Miss Kallen who saved our village from monsters."

Whispers like these filled the air in the area. For the townsfolk, Kallen was their hero and to be told that she betrayed Schicksal was like a shock that they couldn't just accept right away.

Cutting through the air, through the silent murmurs was a sharp and loud voice that shut the whispers off, cutting through them like a sharp knife cutting through butter.

"Do not question the Bishop's judgement! If I hear questioning again, you will all be punished for the heresy!"

The guard in the black cloak exclaimed, silencing the crowd with his words. There was a pin drop silence among the people now. Unknown to the guard, another guard was eyeing him from a distance.

"..."

The first guard then turned to Kallen's grandfather, Arthur as he bowed slightly while putting his hand over his heart.

"Arthur, it's about time."

"Ugh..."

Arthur heard the guard's words and groaned. This wasn't the way he wanted things to go. But even so, that would mean that he would have to follow his duty and put the rock on his heart. With a burdened tone, he spoke up,

"...Prepare for execution."

With that, two guards started to prepare for the execution. There were originally three people there, Arthur and two guards. As the preparations for the execution started, a cloaked figure was watching the entire scene from the first floor of a nearby building.

Her blue eyes gazed silently as her white hair was shrouded by the embrace of the cloak around her. Kiana watched silently, waiting for the right moment to step in while assessing Bronya's plan.