第23章 - Echoing past

It was a silent night. The sounds of the crickets and other nocturnal beings had filled the area near Chiba Academy. The once lively academy laid silent and abandoned, with vines spreading out through every single corner of the building. Slithering and coiling around any living thing that could provide them with energy.

In one silent and isolated corner of the large academy building, was a shadowy figure, leaning against the wall and seemingly asleep. It was a young girl dressed in the tattered uniform of that institution, taking a rest. Anyone could get the idea of this person being a survivor, but such wasn't the truth.

For should they approach her, they will be coiled up into the vines and be reduced to nothing but food for the Herrscher.

The Herrscher of Toxins, the young girl with lavender coloured hair had been resting in the premises, conserving her energy. For a Herrscher that was still in the middle of the process of being fully created, she needed as much energy as possible. She needed to evolve and get stronger, so that she could have her revenge on the world.

"Hmm..."

The Herrscher let out a low hum, her eyes opening. She sensed a strange presence in the air. Something that she deemed as a "delicious source of Honkai energy". Her lips curled into a malicious grin. The prospect of such a juicy and highly nutritious meal that happened to be taking a stroll around where she resided was like a once in a million chance.

And she wouldn't hesitate to jump on such a chance.

However, before she could get up, she felt a sudden chill in the air. It was as if the air itself had gone colder. She could feel her fingertips lose all feeling. The chill was hurting her mind and eyes rather than giving off the feeling of coldness.

Step. Step.

She heard the sounds of approaching footsteps. A sound that she couldn't be mistaken about. Someone was coming. And her senses told her that it was the presence that she had felt earlier.

A shadow approached, reflected on the floor due to the moonlight. A figure shrouded in a cloak appeared, their face hidden. Their intentions, just like their identity, unknown. But from the tone and pitch of the voice, she could make an assumption about what could possibly be hidden behind that cloak.

A young man around the girl's age

A young man around the girl's age. So she assumed.

"So you're one of the so-called Herrschers, am I right?"

The person's tone was one of amusement and curiosity. Their voice was full of interest for the being in front of them. Their voice gave it all of how they were feeling at the moment. They weren't afraid or scared of her. Just curious. As if she was some kind of specimen to be observed and experimented upon. And the Herrscher didn't like it.

This, was the biggest insult to a being like her.

"Don't look down on me, human!"