Chapter One

Chapter One:

I knew one day my talent would be the reason I met Death in person, whether it be willingly or by force. I just didn't know when that would be or what shape it would take form in.

"Come here, my darling," I said softly while sitting down, the grass beneath acting as a pillow.

I watched him sniff the air, awaiting whatever trap I may have. We remained like that for several minutes until he took a hesitant step forward, his hooves silent against the ground.

"It's okay," I promised, slowly putting out my hand with my palm up and opened, revealing the crisp, green slices of apple I had for him.

His tawny ears flickered at the sight of the unusual food and his black nose twitched. I had fed him several times before, but he still wasn't ready to trust me. I supposed I wouldn't trust a human either, after the horrid things we had done to his kind.

It took time, but it was worth it when the slender fawn finally came to me. He stretched out his long neck so he wouldn't have to come too close and took the food from my palm. I smiled, laughing quietly when he licked up the small bits left.

"See, not all of us are bad," I told him, receiving a head-tilt in return.

I reached out as slowly as possible, seeing his muscles coil at the movement. Still, he hadn't left yet.

"My Todd would be jealous if he knew I was giving another animal affection," I told the fawn and continued to talk when my hand grazed him.

He jumped at the contact but with soothing words, he calmed down. He started closer to me, but his ears flickered again and just like that, he was gone.

I sighed and stood, brushing the dirt and grass off my dress. I was sure he had heard something that I would soon hear too.

I was proven right when I became aware of the sound of a distant voice, echoing in the quiet area: "She's done nothing wrong! You have no need for her!"

I paused, my heart quickening. I knew the voice—that frantic sound would be familiar anywhere. I traveled through the dense forest, walking fast, everything else forgotten.

What I found wasn't what I had expected. There was my father, surrounded by large horses as black as night. They were huge in comparison to the animals I was used to, yet far more gentle.

On top of them were men, covered in thick armor from head to toe; the only part visible were their expressionless eyes. I could see weapons strapped around their waists and I panicked, knowing my father was defenseless.

"What's going on, Papa?" I asked, walking towards the older man who was trying his best to hold himself together.

At the sound of my voice, the men turned together, all eyes on me. It was frightening that they had done so in unison, not a single one off-beat. I resisted the urge to shiver at the intensity of their weighted gazes.

I made my way to the middle, standing close by my father who put a shaking arm around me. His eyes were wide and round with fear, his limbs quivering. Never had I seen him so afraid.

"Are you Rowan?"

The voice responsible for the question was deep and commanding, as if saying no wasn't an option. My eyes met his, refusing to let him intimidate me. I had seen far worse than him—scaring me wouldn't be easy.

"What business do you have here? My father and I have done nothing wrong," I said with an edge to my voice. We were the only ones who lived in the forest, as we preferred.