Chapter Four

I had thought better of Sage, but apparently I was wrong. He wasn't fearless. He was simply crazy.

"I tame animals, if that! I don't tame humans!" I snapped at him, my disbelief clouding my fear.

"He's half-animal. It is that side that needs your magic touch, not the human side. You tame animals, and this is no different," Sage explained right before he had the audacity to blow out the lantern.

I waited, thinking perhaps this was a joke. But I heard him stir as he lay down for the night, and I realized he was completely serious. He wanted me to tame the King, the only true beast in this world.

I flew out the tent, welcoming the cool air against my heated skin. It was a mere blessing in comparison to Sage's request.

I continued walking in no particular direction. I just needed to get away from them, away from what they wanted. Getting lost in the forest would be a joy for me at this moment.

So that was exactly what I did, my descending mood lifting. I was far enough away that I couldn't see the camp setup or hear any of its sounds. I could sense the animals nearby, wondering if they needed to scurry farther.

I slid down the firm trunk of a tree, resting my back against it. I needed to think about this, especially if I wanted to leave the castle alive.

They wanted me to tame the King, something I knew I couldn't do. When I was around others, particularly humans, my harsh personality tended to reveal itself. They were cold and relentless to the animals, so I acted the same to them.

It had become a habit, one that hasn't yet caused me any trouble. People stopped attempting to talk and would travel down a longer path if it meant avoiding me. Fortunately, I was happy with that because I wanted nothing to do with them either.

However, that habit was now going to contribute to my ultimate death. The King was known for his very short temper and, equally, a short patience for others. He would grow frustrated with my ways and decide it would benefit him to kill me.

I knew running right now wouldn't get me very far. They would find me with ease and drag me back. It would only give them reason to watch me more carefully. They also knew where I lived and would make it faster to my father on horse than I would on foot.

So were running or dying my only two options? They couldn't be; there had to be one option that didn't end badly. I just wasn't sure what it was at the moment—but I would find it.

A tree nearby rustled and I glanced up, seeing Sage with an orange ball right at his heels. Todd came to me first and I pulled him against me, hugging him. It wasn't much, but his presence was a comfort.

Sage knelt beside me and out of the corner of my eye, I could see him looking at the ground, considering his words before he began speaking to me.

"I know the horrible stories you've heard about King Sandalius. I understand why you are scared; it's reasonable," he started before glancing over at me.

"He may have done those things, but that's not all he is. He's composed of more than his destructive actions, and most don't look past that.

You, however, can. You see past human intellect and see the cruelty upon which we pride ourselves. You see what others cannot, Rowan. I need you to do that now, for the safety of others."

I laughed softly. "The safety of others? Do you think I care about humans? If they died off, perhaps the animals would have a chance at peace," I replied, spotting his frown. He didn't agree with my opinions, like everyone else.

People thought I was being hypocritical when I voiced myself. I wanted others to die, but was I willing to die? The answer had always been yes to me, as I would sacrifice myself if it was worth doing.

"You don't understand. King Sandalius agrees with you. He would rather see the humans killed off than lose nature and its wildlife. He hates them for slaughtering his true family," he tried, but only sighed when he didn't receive a response.

"I will make you a deal. If you can tame the King, I'll convince him to declare an end to hunting within the forest you live in. No one will be allowed to kill or harm the animals there, whether for sport or food."

I turned with surprise at his words before I narrowed my eyes. There was a loophole somewhere; there had to be. Why else would he offer to help me in such a large way?

As if he could read my mind, he replied, "I know I have no reason to help you, but King Sandalius has saved my life more times than I can count. I'm willing to do whatever I can to help him in the same way before he drives himself off the edge of a cliff."

The longer I looked at Sage, the more I realized he truly cared for the King. The King was someone who meant a lot to him and was probably very close. He was willing to help this human, or beast, with the same determination I used to help the animals.

"Will this be placed in writing when we arrive?" I asked him, needing something to solidify the deal.

"Yes, if that's what you prefer," he replied, his voice lighter than before.

I nodded, standing up with Todd still bundled in my arms. Todd was content, his eyes drifting shut despite being held like an infant. He was my baby, my little one, in every sense.

"Then all is okay?" Sage asked as also he stood up while I smoothed down my dress.

"No, all is not okay. I'm not okay with you taking me to a place where death resides, but I'm willing to make the sacrifice if it means you will keep your promise," I replied, and Sage gave me a look conveying he wasn't pleased with my answer.

Did he want me to smile and beg him to tell me all about the King? Did he want me to sing and skip during our travels? I wasn't thrilled with what was happening and certainly didn't want to take part in it.

"We should go back," Sage replied and led the way.

We returned to the quiet campsite, where snoring had begun. Todd jumped out of my arms and into the forest to explore once again.

I crawled into the tent with Sage following behind. I was first to lie down, my back turned to him, but I could still hear the covers beneath us rustle as he lay down as well. If I paid closer attention, I would have noticed our body heat mixing with one another between us, making him seem that much closer.

It took a while, but I could hear his breathing slow down into even, almost silent breaths. I almost thought perhaps I would never join him.

But sleep surprised me by taking me soon after. 

*side-note: would y'all be interested in me sending out holiday cards?