Chapter Fifteen

I apologize for any errors. Enjoy the chapter!

Chapter Fifteen

The castle was unusually quiet, the only sound the inhale and exhale of the air surrounding me. Not a soul was to be seen, everyone having taken off as told. It seemed colder than usual as well, the atmosphere frigid and frosted.

I was told to wait downstairs until Sage returned from directing everyone out of the castle. Shatteria was upstairs, preparing the King for the departure. The day appeared to be a slow, unproductive one, yet today more would happen than ever.

I could hear footsteps although I had not bothered to turn. Todd was sitting beside me and had begun chattering, his ears perked as he walked in the general direction. The only person he had taken a liking to here was the person I was waiting for.

"Are you ready?" he asked, his voice as tranquil as ever. He kept walking until he was by my side, Todd at his heels.

"As ready as I will ever be," I replied, watching as my little one rubbed up against Sage. Sage too looked down, kneeling as he ran his hand through Todd's fur.

"Perhaps he should be outside," he said, looking up at me expectantly. I frowned, offended. I was not stupid enough to allow him near the King, knowingly.

"Todd is not a dog. He comes and goes as he pleases. He will leave as we go upstairs. It is as he always does," I responded and started walking forward, Todd following in suit.

As expected, once we reached the stairs, Todd disappeared. I smirked at Sage who simply glared at me before opening the door. We ascended, both of us quiet. The tension had begun showing itself, warmly greeting us.

We had reached the hall and Sage hesitated, turning towards me. "I want to thank you, Rowan," he said, startling me.

He sighed, running a hand through his hair before he began explaining. "Without you, King Sandalius would not have a chance. He would have spiraled himself deeper into his darkness until it was all he could see or until his heart stopped beating.

Yet, today gave him hope whether you are aware or not. He would have never agreed if he truly thought there was not a chance that this might help him. You are the reason he may began reversing his destination down this dark path."

That was how he saw it, I supposed. However, there was more to it in my eyes. "Sage, it is not I who you should be thanking, but yourself. I would not be here without you, would I?" I asked, and he frowned at the question.

"No, however–"

"I would have left with my father if you had not come for me, would I have not?" I pressed, and he sighed.

"That is not the point," he replied, and I shook my head.

"No, Sage, that is precisely the point. You are the savior of your own King, not me. You are as true and loyal as any knight can only dream of being," I said, watching as his expression became a tender one.

He started forward, his body closer to mine than ever. I could feel the fabric of his uniform brushing against my dress, firm and light. His brown eyes stared into my own, as if searching for something. Perhaps he found it because he leaned even closer, only a wisp of air between us.

Just as quickly as the moment had begun, it ended at the sound of a door opening. Sage was quick to fall back, the air returning to my lungs. There stood Shaterria, her hands on her hips as she studied the both of us.

"Are you going to just stand there? We don't have all week," she snapped and proceeded to walk back into the room.

I could hear Sage clear his throat, but refused to look in his direction. "It is time," he said, his voice deeper than I had become used to.