Chapter Thirty One

So I combined two chapter outlines meaning that there are only THREE CHAPTERS LEFT!!! MY HEART I CANT BELIEVE IT. I also can't believe that we've reached nine-FRICKIN-thousand followers. Thank you to each and every one of you who follow me it unbelievable omg. Like I don't update for months, my stories have so many errors YET YALL STILL FOLLOW ME. Y'all are truly angels in disguise omg.

Thirty One

Anise had run out of the castle and straight into the forest. I was quick to follow, clutching the knife by my side. By the time I was within the forest, she was no longer in sight. I paused my running, listening to the sounds around me.

I could only hear the wind rustling, drifting underneath the fallen leaves on the ground and gently stirring up the loose dirt. I could not hear any animals, nor could I hear where Anise had gone.

"You know, before you came to Kieran's castle, I'd hear all about you, Rowan." I listened, hearing she was not far away from me. She was close enough that her voice did not have to travel and the clarity of her words wasn't softened by her surroundings.

"I'd admired you, you see. You had an ability and wielded it like a weapon used for defense. You used it to protect yourself, that's all. But just that alone gave you more power than you know." I didn't snap at her to explain that they were merely rumors and I had never attempted to harm another with the animals.

"You are only wasting your power, my darling. Why use it on someone who has no desire to be here? He's already gone, in a sense. You and I both know this." She had moved, I could tell by the sound of her voice. However, she'd been silent enough that I could not hear her footsteps. I pressed my back against a tree after determining her voice was traveling from the direction in front of me and not behind.

"This child is going to grow up just like him, a complete waste. Why should we allow another monster to ruin this land? It's only going to further dig a grave for us humans. Kieran cares little for those around him, as I am sure you have realized. His child will be no different. So the most obvious thing to do is kill it. If you and I do so know, no one will know it was us. Why suspect the long-forgotten Queen or the woman fighting to save Kieran?

If this child lives, they will expect you to stay here. They will want you to tame him too. You won't be allowed home anytime soon. I doubt you will ever be able to go back. Why give up your life for the very person that snatched it from you? This is your chance, our chance, to claim what is rightfully ours. He took our lives away and we are doing the most natural thing: taking it back."

She had gone quiet and I narrowed my eyes, sweeping the forest once more before responding. "I have no interest in helping you," I said, knowing my voice would be heard.

She finally stepped out, a smirk on her face as she advanced closer to me, taking her time. When she stopped, she was maybe ten feet away. "I hoped you were not a predictable as I thought, however, you are. I thought this would be your answer so I did not come alone." I watched as she let out a sharp whistle and was met by the sound of leaves and twigs crunching.

I stiffened as a herd of dogs ran towards us, stopping just as they reached Anise. Their eyes were trained on me, tinted with a bloodlust look and alert to my every movement. I simply stared back, ignoring the sense of dread that was developing within my body.

"I've heard all about you, my dear, including that your power is not instantaneous." Her smirk was now turned upwards into a smile as if she was talking about something she enjoyed. "These dogs have been bred and trained just for me. I was going to use them on Kieran if my plan didn't work out, but I suppose I shouldn't disappoint them. They've been starved just for this moment, Rowan."

I would never be able to outlast them all. I knew this. Yet, I stood my ground. I knew the second I ran, they would give chase. They would have my back and kill me quickly. However, if I waited until they came to me, I would be able to defend myself as much as possible.

Anise whistled once again and the dogs did not hesitate to respond. Within seconds, the began snarling, running towards me at full speed. When the first one reached me, jumping with his paws extended towards me, I raised my knife, feeling it sink deep into its chest as we both fell hard onto the ground. But it was not the only one.

No sooner than that did I feel pain flaring in my leg, traveling throughout the rest of my body. I cried out, looking to see a dog had sunk its canines into the flesh of my leg. I could feel my teeth biting my tongue to distract myself, knowing I needed to grab the knife out of the dead dog's chest.

I struggled to do so, feeling another dog grab my arm before biting down, causing my vision to blur slowly, along with the rest of my senses. I was going to die. I was finally going to meet Death and it would not be at the hands of the King but by the teeth of senseless dogs.

Just as I wanted to give up, I could feel the knife loosen, sliding out of the dog's chest and into my hand. I gathered my strength, attempting to ignore the feeling of my limbs being shaken or the wet growls that vibrated through my bones as I took the knife slashing it through the air, hoping it would sink into something, anything.

I was granted my wish. I could hear a yelp before my arm was released along with my leg, the other dog startled. I did not look back as I got up and ran. I could hear Anise's laughter behind me before she spoke.

"Run, dear. But you will not get far. I will even allow you a headstart." I did not turn towards her but simply continued running. It was not until I was much farther than I realized I was not being followed.

Shortly after, I began attempting to cover my track. I had realized that they would follow my blood and I would not be alone for much longer. My walking was growing slower and slower, the damages to my body finally taking a toll. It was taking all my energy not to lie against the nearest tree and take a short break. I knew if I did so, I would not get up anytime soon.

The sun had disappeared by now and I decided to find somewhere to hide. I was barely standing now and knew if I did not rest, I was bound to pass out. So I found a nearby fallen tree, crawling underneath it before lying down and taking a deep breath, closing my eyes.

I did not doubt that my leg and arm were going to scar. What I did doubt was whether I was going to make it out of this forest alive. Reasonably, I knew I would not. I had been in luck during the fight and I no longer had a weapon. I could not defend myself, nor did I have the energy to do so anymore. They would find me and there would be nothing I could do as they tore me apart.

I pressed my hand against my lips, pressing my kissed palm against the air. "Goodnight, Papa. Goodnight, my little one," I whispered, blinking back tears. Would I see them again? "I am sorry if I have disappointed the two of you. It does not seem as if I will be able to save myself or the King."

I sighed, thinking about him for a brief moment. He would have no idea that I too would be dead soon. Sage would return to find I was gone and there would be no evidence who I had been killed by. The King would be killed shortly after and Sage would be sent out of the castle.

"I promise to try my best to defend myself," I said, my thoughts returning back to my father and Todd. "I will fight until my last breath, that much I know." But I do not have much hope. I did not voice this part out loud, not wishing to tell either of them that.

A few moments of silence passed before I found the darkness yanking at my mind, pulling me into its depths.