Chapter Six

"Command someone to make sure Rowan's room is prepared. If it is not, make sure they do so."

"Inform King Sandalius of our arrival. However, make sure he isn't busy."

Even here, where there were much more people scurrying around, it was clear Sage was still in charge. It was him who directed everyone around, telling the servants to put the horses back in the stable, to take my things to my room.

"That won't be necessary," he said quickly when someone reached for the reins of his horse. "I'll take Sequeria myself."

"Such a beautiful name," I murmured, catching his attention. He grabbed her reins, talking to her softly before he began pulling her in my direction. She obeyed him, nickering quietly.

"You will go with me. We will see the King together, as he instructed that I be with you every time the two of you meet," Sage explained, leading Sequeria to the stables. I followed, deciding it was better than waiting here until he returned.

We walked around the castle, towards the edge of the forest to the gray stable. It was beautiful, not as faded or weathered down as I imagined it would be. It was also large, housing more horses than I could count.

We walked into the dimly lit stable, and the smell of fresh hay and horse manure surrounded us. The horses were silent: their heavy breathing was all I could hear, along with the occasional hoof-stomp.

Sage found his way to the end where the very last stall was tucked into the far corner of the stable. He opened it and gently took everything off Sequeria, talking to her as he did so. I found myself unable to resist a smile at the sight.

"I need to brush her down, and then we can leave," Sage said, and I took the time to take Todd out of my bag, placing him on the stable's floor. The moment his paws touched the ground, he darted away, out of the stable and my sight.

"You have a gentle way with her that most don't use with animals," I murmured when he was finally finished and began locking her stall.

"She and I have a bond that most don't create with them," he replied, stroking her one last time when she nudged him with her head.

Someone entered the stables and I turned, seeing an umber-skinned girl making her way towards us. When Sage finally turned, she grabbed her skirt and curtsied, bowing her head at the same time.

"Sir Coventry, King Sandalius awaits you and the guest," she said, her eyes never quite meeting his. Even that was a product of an animalistic hierarchy, and they didn't even seem to realize it.

"Yes, thank you, Shaterria. You're free to leave," he replied, and I could see her face darken at his words before she bowed once again and was off.

"First name basis with a peasant girl?" I asked, studying him. He didn't turn or even acknowledge my words. I thought perhaps he would ignore me.

"She is much more than a peasant among these lands. While I am the most trusted guard of King Sandalius, she is the most trusted worker. It is why she is sent to deliver his messages. She and I are the only ones allowed near him." His eyes flickered towards me as he added, "I suppose you are also an exception now."

"Is there anything I should know when approaching him?" I asked. I wanted to be as prepared as I could and avoid scheduling an early meeting with Death.

"Do not mention his past. It is a dark subject for him, one that is quick to set him off. He's been through more than he should have, and it's best not to bring any of it up. He does not need to relive it because of someone's mere curiosity," he said simply, making me wonder how often people were curious enough to ask about it.