Chapter Twenty Three

TWO IMPORTANT THINGS: Hello! I have completely outlined this story and it is going to be AROUND a total of 35 chapters so we are getting pretty close to the ending, unfortunately. ANOTHER exciting thing: I made a book on my profile where you can post summaries of your story if you'd like me to read it! I truly hope you'll check it out because I'm interested in getting to see y'all's stories and works. The book is called "Sharing is Caring"

Chapter Twenty Three

Our dinner was quiet for the most part, Sage and Shaterria the only two attempting to converse. The King did not say a word while I would occasionally speak when something was directed towards me. However, it was not awkward but soothing to me.

I was now preparing for my night with the King, as promised. My hair was braided down for the night while I wore clothes suitable for the night. I found myself standing in front of the door leading to the King's door, hesitating before knocking.

There was silence before I briefly heard him say, "Come in." I opened the door, walking in and spotting him standing by his table, running a finger along it. As usual, he didn't bother with looking up once I entered.

"I have a request if I am to go through with this," I said, standing by the door, not having yet closed it. I watched as he finally looked at me, curiosity in his eyes as he tilted his head.

"You lost a bet, Rowan. You are in no position to make requests," he said but kept his eyes on me. I took this as a positive sign, conveying that he was not yet dismissing me.

I crossed my arms across my chest before saying, "I will keep you company if we spend a bit of it outside. I have-"

"No." This was followed by a frown before his eyes finally looked away, briefly skittering towards the window then the wall.

I pursed my lips together, attempting to keep from grinding my teeth. "I have to look for Todd! I will stay the night as long as I can-"

He interrupted yet again, his voice holding more frustration than before. "I have no interest in roaming outside. We are going to spend the night inside. That is final."

I clicked my tongue, looking up at the ceiling to keep from losing my patience. "You expect me to spend the night while my little one is out there? He could potentially run into someone who's willing to cause him harm. I cannot stay here and do that," I snapped, watching as his eyes flashed before he closed them.

There was a pause before he finally spoke. "I am no negotiating with a woman who does not know where her boundaries lie. You agreed to spend the night and we are not going outside. Is that too difficult for you to comprehend?" he asked, his eyes holding a small fire. My own narrowed, refusing to give in.

"I will not feel the least bit guilty for choosing Todd over a man who does not know when to give in to his childish arrogance. Is that too difficult for you to comprehend?" I asked back.

Without waiting for his response I went out the door, walking down the hall. We were both getting nowhere with each other and I did not intend to go without checking for Todd. I had foolishly attempted to reason with a man who did not know what the word meant.

King Sandalius moved in a similar fashion that a wolf did. Both creatures were silent in their footsteps, quiet enough that their prey was oblivious to their presence. I had not expected to be deaf to his footsteps, nor had I expected him to follow me.

I was surprised when a hand grabbed my forearm, whirling me around. I stumbled, falling against the King. As I attempted to pull away, he pressed his arm against my back, limiting my movement.