Chapter Nineteen

I apologize in advance for typos and allll that. BUT I knew I wouldn't be home for a while where my laptop is so I decided to update anyways. I hope you all enjoy!!!

Chapter Nineteen

"Papa, where are the eggs?"

"Behind the milk!" This was shouted from upstairs before I could hear his footsteps descending.

I checked, and there they were. I had decided to make food for my little one since the two of us were staying with my father this weekend. Todd wasn't pleased, but I refused to let him run around in a town with strangers.

He currently sat patiently at my feet, his head tilted up as he watched my every movement. It was as if his stomach was never-ending. I leaned down, running a hand down his back before my father joined us.

I pressed my lips against his cheek, frowning down at Todd when he bared his teeth. "You are not being nice. Enough," I scolded, watching his mouth uncurl before he tilted his head innocently at me.

"I am sure he will settle down once he's fed," my father said, chuckling before he walked to the small wooden table and sat there. "How have things been, sweetheart?" he asked, a thread of caution hidden in his words. He knew something was wrong, as he always did.

"Fine, Papa. It is nothing for you to worry yourself with," I replied, focusing on Todd's food.

I could hear him sigh before I looked over and saw the small shake of his head. "I'll always worry about you, Rowan. You are my greatest treasure; have you not realized that by now?"

I loved him more than anything, but I knew once I told him of the incident at the castle, he would insist we leave. It was different seeing the lifeless body lying there rather than just hearing about the numerous murders.

"How is everyone treating you? Do you enjoy it?" I asked, hoping to catch him off guard. I was proven successful when he face lit up like a star, a grin taking over his face.

"It's wonderful, sweetheart. The town's people aren't afraid of me nor do they treat me any differently. There are events every week that Lily and I attend-" he started and I raised an eyebrow, glancing at him.

"Lily? Is she the one sent to watch over you?" I asked, making sure that there was someone sent to watch over him. It was part of the agreement and I had not had the time to properly introduce myself to her or make sure she was okay.

"Yes, she's lovely. She's quite different from you. Has the patience and ease that you never seemed to grasp," he teased, showing all his teeth. I smiled at his joke, laughing.

Had anyone else said it, I might have snapped about where they could take their negative comments. However, I knew my father did not mean it harshly. He often told me that my temper and stubborn behavior were an advantage, not a disadvantage.

"Ahh, you must be enjoying the contrast. Has she been taking care of you? Has she been helping with the daily chores, going to the market-" I was cut off as he walked over to me, hushing me.

"Rowan, you don't need to worry about me. Lily helps as much as she can. However, I am still capable of doing some work by myself. Do not spend your energy worrying about how I am. I have never been better," he explained, his words tugging at my heart painfully.

I knew if I asked, when everything was done, my father would leave here without question and return to the forest. He would do so because of me. But would he be happy there when here there were people to talk to, things to do, and places to go? Would he want to settle for a quiet forest where there was no one but Nature?