The Pregnancy Club - Chapter 4

Sadie

I was flipping through last weeks newspaper, tossing away all the boring sections and only reading the Entertainment and the comics. Our old T.V broadcasted one of the five channels it has, where Barack Obama was approaching the stand to talk about another problem in America.

I came to the add section, that had been crammed into Entertainment somehow, and decided to amuse myself by looking at the ridiculous things people were trying to sell.

"Old-Fashioned Whiskey Maker" - Complete with all the nescessary parts from circa 1890! Call Dan at 507-362-4478 if interested.
"Germapoo's For Sale!" - Cross breed of German Shepard and Poodle's! Call Nancy at 507- 367- 5133 if you think one of these puppies are for you!

Pregnancy Club -  Pregnant teens ranging from fourteen to eighteen may come and discuss their issues with their own teen pregnancy. No need to sign up, just come when you want. Held at Rochester Public Library, Room 231 every Sunday from 11:00  a.m to 12:00 p.m. starting on August 13th.

Wait, what?

A Pregnancy Club? What kind of sick, twisted person would want to listen to a bunch of depressed, pregnant teenagers talk about their problems? Who would want to go?

I would.

Who wants other people to listen to their own problems?

I do.

Why would someone tell a complete stranger their feelings?

Because you have know one else.

"Oh shut up." I grumbled. Unfortunatley my dad chose that minute to walk through the door, and his cautionary look meant that he thought my comment was directed at him.

"Are you alright?"  He asked, taking a tentative step inside.

"No." I grunted. My dad looked at me sadly, then trudged out the door again, back to the garage. I wanted to call after him and apologize, but I just didn't see the point. It's not like one aplogy can change a whole relationship.

I walked up the stairs and sat down at my desk where my dinosaur- era computer hummed. A layer of thick, musky dust covered the top, and I swept it off with my sweater sleeve, leaving a fluffy residue. I turned it on and waited for it to come back to life, and then logged on to my email.

Thirteen emails from Ben. All in a row. Ben had been calling a lot lately too, leaving distressed messages because I didn't have the heart to pick up. I felt bad. He probably thinks he did something wrong. I

Well he did do something wrong.

No he didn't.

This is his fault.

No it's not.

I blame him for all of this.

You've got no one to blame but yourslef.

"Argh!" I yelled, smacking my hand against my forehead, and then began rubbing where I had probably created a bruise. I decided to read his emails. I opened the last one, the night after we had sex.

Hey, Sadie. I had a lot of fun, last night. I hope you did too, because I really like you. I know that this isn't what you wanted, but I was so happy when you said yes. Call me :)

The next one.

You haven't called or emailed me yet, so I guess your just busy. When your free again, talk to me.

The third.

Hey, Sadie. Are you mad at me? I'm sorry if I pressured you into doing anything you didn't want to, but  thought you wanted it to so . . . I don't know. Just call me.

I skipped through the rest until I came to the most recent, which was just yesterday.

Sadie, please talk to me. You haven't emailed me back or returned my calls so I guess you must be really mad. I'm so sorry, Sadie. I wouldn't have mde you do it if you didn't like it so much. I wouldn't have risked the friendship we had for just one night of me being happy. Because Sadie, what I said that night was true.

I love you.

I love you so much sometimes I can't sleep without thinking of you. I just wish you felt the same way. But now you're mad, and I know you can hold a grudge Sadie. You've held one against Janie Greenlich for five years because she told everyone that you used to sleep with all your  Bratz Dolls. But please don't hold one over me Sadie. I don't know what I'd do without you. Not just because I love you, but because your my best friend and you have been for the longest time. Please don't tell me I'e ruined everything.

I blinked back the tears that were about to spill over.

I don't want you to love me. I thought. I never did. I wanted to go on as friends forever. I never even wanted a boyfrined. Sure, I've had flings in the past, but none of them mattered as much as me and Ben's friendship. If I gave in and fell in love too . . . I might loose everything.

I was about to hit the reply button, but then I stopped. What could I say? I'm not mad at you, Ben. I'm mad because you managed to knock me up.

I sat for a little while, reading the message over and over until I couldn't anymore. I turned off my computer and lay down on my bed. I wanted to talk to someone so bad.

But who wants to listen to me?

Suddenly I remembered the newspaper article, the one about the Pregnancy Club. The article that was now sitting on the wooden side table in the living room, calling my name, begging to be noticed once more.

Maybe someone did want to listen after all.