The Pregnancy Club - Chapter 6

Aimee

I felt hot. To hot. I was sweating, and I was afraid soon my makeup would be running down my face. I was all dressed up and ready for me and Josh's date, except usually when I usually feel excited to go on a date with Josh, I felt sick to my stomach. I ran a hand through my ironed hair, making sure it was still smooth and in place. I checked my nails, making sure the tips weren't chipped. I smoothed a wrinkle on my black wrapped skirt, and tugged at the bottom of floral cami that I had tucked into the skirt.

"Where are you going?" My mom asked, stepping into the living room for a moment.

"On a date." I grumbled. Talking to my parents wasn't always one of my favourite activities.

"With who?" My mom asked skeptically. Do you think I look like a person who doesn't go on dates?

"Josh. We've been dating for six months now." I snapped.

"Oh, yeah. Him. Well, have fun." My mom clicked out of the room, the back of her Miu Miu kitten heels lightly tapping the floor. I wasn't mad, my parents never kept tabs on me. All they kept tabs on was their buisness.

My parents are the CEO's of Flix, a camera company that sold the best quality cameras. A lot of their frineds said they shouldn't go into buisness together, that it would ruin their marriage, but the reason my parents truly bonded was over work. That's also how they met, work, when my parents were both lowly college interns. Now all they cared about was their jobs. I doubt they even care about each other nowadays. They probably have divorced by now, but they were so busy.

Suddenly a car horn beeped outside, and I stepped out to see Josh in his BMW. He reached over his seat to open the door for me, and I sat, quickly checking in his rearview mirror that my makeup was still in check.

"Hey baby." I smiled, and leaned over to kiss me. We kissed for a while, sitting in his car on my driveway, until he finally broke away to turn on the car and drive away.

                                                               *                    *                      *

It was busy at Sammi's. The waitresses were bustling around, but they always stopped to make sure me and Josh were okay. I'm not surprised, his dad is CEO of the whole chain. Sammi is Josh's old dog's name, and when she died the restaurant was dedicated to her.

"More water?" A waitress asked, holding a large pitcher. She flashed a blinding smile at Josh, but I could tell it was strained. If she was actually trying to be friendly, she would learn that Josh hates when his dad's employees suck up to him.

"Yes please." I said. I had already downed two other glasses, but I was still extremely hot, probably from being so nervous. I knew I still had to tell Josh tonight. I slowly pushed around my Caesar salad. I felt to sick to be hungry.

"Hey, Josh," I murmured, reaching across the table to take his hand.

"Yeah?" He said with a moutful of braized chicken.

"I, I have something important to tell you." I fiddled with my charm bracelet, hoping it would bring me luck.

Josh swallowed. "Shoot." I said. I swallowed also.

"Well, um, you know that night when we had . . . sex?" I bit my bottom lip. Josh smiled.

"Of course." He smirked. I smiled nervously.

"Um, well . . . you see," I stuttered.

"Wait, are you trying to say you didn't . . . like it?" Now Josh was the one looking nervous.

"No! That's not what I'm saying at all!" I cried, then lowered my voice when they people around us turned to look. "Josh, I . . . I'm pregnant." Josh's hand clenched, and slowly slipped away from mine. His smile faded. He stared at me blankly. "Please, just say something. I don't know how this happened, but-"

"You're pregnant." He stated it more than asked it. I nodded my head. He looked down at his plate, and when he looked up again, there was a look in his eyes that I'd only seen one other time, when Tom Marshell made fun of him in grade six for not having a mom. Josh's mom died when he was seven, and it was still a sensative subject. After Tom uttered those words he didn't say anything else, for Josh had punched him out cold. Josh got a three-week suspension for that. He would've been expelled, but Tom admitted that he'd taunted him. However there was a rumour that Josh threatened him to say that.

"How could you?" He spat, looking at me like I was a dead spider. "Do you know what the guys are going to say about this? What my parents are going to say?"

I felt like I was going to cry. I was crying.

"Josh, why are you saying this? We're in this together." I pleaded, feeling like a complete loser. You are alpha! Show them who's boss! My conciensce chanted, but my tears drowned out it's voice.

"No. From now on, your on your own. I'm done." He threw down his napkin and marched out the door, leaving the entire restaurant staring at me. I felt like I was in a lame soap opera, except now this was all to real. I got up from my seat and ran into the bathroom and retched, a woman who had been in the stall beside me quickly flushed and ran out, leaving me all alone. Really. 

After I was finsished I walked out, quickly throwing a couple of bills on the table. I didn't want to wait for the waitress to take my credit card. Josh's car was gone, which meant I was walking home . . . in my heels . . . wonderful.

                                                             *                    *                     *

I was standing at the lights before my street, my heels aching after the walk. I watched a taxi drive by and suddenly realized I could have just called one. Obviously with Josh gone my mind wasn't thinking straight.

I looked at the colourful lamp post, plastered with different adds. Some about free lawn mowing, some about a Saturday Senior Swim class. Then one caught my eye.

Pregnancy Club -  Pregnant teens ranging from fourteen to eighteen may come and discuss their issues with their own teen pregnancy. No need to sign up, just come when you want. Held at Rochester Public Library, Room 231 every Sunday from 11:00  a.m to 12:00 p.m. starting on August 13th.

A pregnancy club, huh? I never would have thought about talking to someone about this, but with Josh gone, I realized I didn't have anybody else. It's not like Peyton was much help.

I looked around, making sure no one I knew was around, and then quickly grabbed one of the tags at the bottom with the phone numbers and stuffed it in my pocket.

August 13th . . . that was next Sunday. Usually I would go out for brunch with Josh, but now I guess my sceduale was free.

The light turned red and I crossed the street. I didn't feel like rocking this pregnancy anymore.

I felt like taking it back.