The Pregnancy Club - Chapter 20

December

Chastity

    On December first I slowly rolled out of bed, my back stiff and sore, as usual. I looked over to my calander, where a long row of X's were covering the entire month of November. I flipped the page up to the clean, laminated page of December, where little Christmas-themed drawings covered the edges. Becky had gotten me a calander so I could make a countdown of the days until I was supposed to give birth. I grabbed the blue highlighter off my bedside table and slowly put an X through December first.

Only four months to go.

It was like waiting for Christmas morning, having a baby. You buy all of the stuff, you're completely ready, now you just have to wait for someone else to leave you the presents, or in this case, come out from inside of you.

"Morning baby girl," Erik said as he opened the door to my bedroom. He must of heard me get up. I walked over to the doorway and wrapped my arms over his neck so I could give him a passionate kiss. When we were finished he lowered himself to his knees so he was eye-level to my stomach.

"Hey, baby girl number two." He whispered. When I had told Erik about my baby being a girl he wasn't dissapointed that he wouldn't be able to help a boy grow and become a man, he was overjoyed that he could watch his "baby girl number two" grow up.

"We should figure out names instead of you always calling her that." I chuckled.

"Why? I like baby girl number two." Erik rubbed my stomach gently, cradling it as if it was already a baby.

"I know, but it might be fun anyway."

"Okay, sure. When we get home we can look up some baby names.  Start thinking of one's that you like." He stood up and kissed me one last time before leaving to get ready for school.

I went downstairs in my pajamas so I could eat breakfast, which, ever since I had moved in, has resembled something you might see on the Food Network. Full of folate, calcium, iron and protein, all of which was supposed to help my fetus become a healthy become. Today it was an omelette with cheese and mushrooms and a strawberry smoothie.

"Thanks Becky." I said as I grabbed my fork.

"Oh it's no problem, hun. I'm just trying to look out for you and the baby." Becky murmured as she scrubbed the inside of the blender, but when she said "baby" she came over to rub my stomach. Everyone had been doing that lately. The girls at The Pregnancy Club (especially Jen) , Erik and Becky.

I wished Becky was my mom. She would always be there for me, to stand up for me and accept me for who I am. Unlike my own mother, who, at the word of my father, would kick me to the curb, say nothing as he slammed Erik and I, and tell me that she'd like me better if I wasn't pregnant.

                                                     *                           *                        *

It was another day at school. I had gotten five dirty looks, two mean whore-related comments and even a poem taped to my locker that said: "Roses are red, Violets are blue, Paris Hilton's a slut, And so are you!" Clever. And it wasn't even homeroom yet.

I tried to hide the fact that tears were prickling in my eyes, but they were already dripping. I couldn't let anyone notice though, it's not like it would make a difference.

                                                     *                            *                             *

"Chastity Kapurs?" Mr. Dornhall, my homeroom teacher called. From the front I could hear Tori at the front cough "slut". I dropped lower in my seat.

"Here." I muttered.

"Miss Kapurs?" Mr. Dornhall called again. He was looking right at me, but he was extremely strict about muttering. He hated it.

"Here!" I said loudly. He nodded and checked my name off the attendance. I shrunk back down in my seat. Nobody accepted me for the way I am today. People that used to talk me now ignore me, and complete strangers are calling me names in the hallway. I'm sure Aimee and Sadie don't have to go through this.

I wish they went to my school. In the few times we hung out other than The Pregnancy Club (we went to the movies last Monday) they had grown to be some of my best friends. They were so accepting, they never made mean comments or snide remmarks. They were always supportive and offering tips, so I was able to share mine with them. It felt strange however, they were so different from me. Sadie was more the kind of person who does nothing all day and cruises through school, without a care in the world, when secretly I think she has more worries than she can count. Aimee is super-popular, and usually it seems she would be too cool to hang out with us, but I think she has a soft side. 

                                                         *                          *                             *

Thankfully school ended quickly and Erik was going to be home for three hours until he had to work. Becky continually insisted that he quit, she was perfectly able to pay for the baby and an apartment for us, but Erik and I felt bad about mooching off her all the time.

"What do you think of Riley? Or Bailey?" Erik asked as he scrolled down a website page with lists of baby names.

"Erik, we're getting a baby, not a dog." I laughed.

"Agreed." He chuckled and kept scrolling. "Hm, do you want a theme, like American states or Greek godesses?"

"I don't know, do you think we should go with something God related?"I fretted, looking over his shoulder.

"Chas, you know that you have nothing to repay to Him. He loves you, no matter what the others say. Having a baby is not a sin, it's a miracle." He read my mind.

"Miracle! We should name her Miracle!" I shouted, and then regretted. "Never mind. That sounds stupid."Erik laughed.

"You know, maybe we shouldn't decide right now. I mean, we still have a while, and I think the name might just come to us when we see her. That, I think, would be more fun than planning it out." Erik suggested.

I considered. I had always been the kind of person that planned ahead, but I suppose Erik was right. We shouldn't name our baby until we actually see it.

"You're right, as always." I leaned over to kiss him. He pulled back and smiled.

"I love you." He murmured.

"I love you more. I can't wait to raise this baby with you."

So I sealed it with a kiss.