The Pregnancy Club - Chapter 40 (Picture of Liz)

Sadie

"Ugh." I sighed. This was the fifth time I had tried to call Aimee, but she wasn't picking up her phone. I wouldn't blame her, she probably needed time by herself for a while.

I couldn't believe what happened. This kind of thing doesn't happen to people you know, this kind of thing happens on soap operas and in dramatic books, not in real life.

I had never heard anyone scream so loud than how Aimee had screamed over the phone last night. I hung up after a minute or two into her meltdown. I began to feel sick just hearing it. Even now it was ringing through my ears.

Speaking of ringing through my ears, a piercing wail came from my bedroom. My baby (I decided not to name him, it would just get me more attached) was lying in the crib, staring up at the ceiling, face creased in unhappiness. I scooped him up and held him to my chest as I made my way downstairs to heat up a bottle. Breastfeeding seemed to intimate for a baby who, when the parents came today, wouldn't be mine. As the baby sucked on my bottle, I stared out the window, waiting for the car to pull up in the driveway. I hoped they would come soon. The baby pooped like crazy, and I was running out of diapers, but I wasn't planning on buying a new box if he wouldn't be hear for much longer. For temporary comfort, my dad had rebuilt my old crib and had bought to outfits and a pair of pajamas.

I leaned over a little to wipe a tear that hadn't fallen from his face, but before I could he stopped drinking and reached up to brush my face with his tiny, soft hands.  I stood there, staring at the beautiful baby under my lashes, who, biologically,  was mine.

No. I have to stop thinking that way. I can't get attached.

How about you take it back? Keep the baby. Don't you really want to love him forever?

I can't take it back! The parents will be here any minute now! And I don't want to love him forever, I'm only sixteen. I need to focus on other things. I need to go to school, get a job. Then I can focus on other things. Now is not the time.

Stop lying to yourself, Sadie. This is what I've been trying to tell you the whole time. Give in. Live a little. Life isn't life if you're not taking chances. Sometimes things don't happen the way they were supposed to, it doesn't mean that it's the wrong way.

What you've been trying to tell me?! You're my mind, not a person. So why don't you crawl back in your little corner, and shut the - " Before I could argue any further with myself, the doorbell rang. I looked out the window, and parked behind my dad's pickup was a shiny blue Prius.

I bolted to the door, still holding the baby. Tucking a few loose stands of hair behind my ears and taking a deep breath, I opened the door.

Oh, hell no.

"Hello, I'm Liz, and this is my fiance, Brian. We spoke on the phone. It's so amazing that we could come." The woman outstretched her hand.

Standing outside the door was a guy of medium height and blonde hair that was gelled to look windblown. He wore a gray turtleneck and black dress pants even though it was quite warm outside. His suade shoes shined with the new-shoe gloss, and his Crest White-Strips smile was blinding.

But it wasn't the guy that was the problem. It was the woman beside him, with an equally blinding smile, light brown hair (about the same shade as mine if it weren't for the blonde highlights) and dressed in pencil skirt and blouse, that was the problem. Because I recognized that woman, and even though I hadn't seen her in over fourteen years I had seen pictures, and I knew.

My mother was standing in the doorway.

My mom's smile began to falter, her outstretched hand falling to her side. She didn't recognize me. Probably because the last time she saw me I was five feet smaller and one hundred pounds less.