The Pregnancy Club - Chapter 10

Sadie

"Hey, Sadie? Please call me. I'm really worried about you. I want to get in touch with you before school starts. You don't know how sorry I am. Please call me back.

"Sadie, pick up the phone right now. Whatever happened last week involves me too. If something happened, tell me"

"Okay, forget that last message. I don't want to scare you off. I'm sorry, please, please call me back.

That was just the first three of a long string of messages left for me after I got back. I knew I didn't want to answer any of them. I never wanted to talk to Ben again. Not because I was mad . . . but because I really care about him, and I don't want our friendship to be ruined by a silly thing like him loving me.

I mean, it's not like I feel the same way about him.

Yes you do.

No, I don't.

But you want to.

That's impossible. We're just friends.

That's only what you pretend it is.

I groaned, leaning back on the couch. One week until the next Pregnancy Club meeting. One week until school starts.

Who's idea was it that pregnancy had to last nine months? Nine months . . . that means I'll be pregnant until April. Even though I didn't care about school, I had always been a math whiz. My dad said I had gotten it from my mom. I smartly responded, "Then why did she think subracting herself from our family, rotating herself away and not even adding a friendly call or birthday card would be a good equation?" He didn't know how to respond to that.

I didn't want my kid to turn out the way I did. That's why I was probably going to give it away. I wanted someone else to take care of it, to make it into their child, and not my messed-up one. I didn't want it to have my life.

And in a way, I didn't want it to be involved in mine.

Wait. An idea popped in my head just as I was about to settle down for a nap. I've see the movie Juno. I can plan an adoption, that way as soon as the thing pops out it's no longer my problem! Yes! This would be perfect! Not just for me, but for the baby too. Now all I had to do was search the newspapers for an ad. There as to be at least one couple in Rochester that wants a baby.

I wouldn't bother searching now. I mean, I've still got nine months. No hurry. This could all work out, and I wouldn't have to worry about the baby not having a good life, it's new parents could shape it into whatever they want.

I leaned back on the couch and turned on the TV. It almost seemed like a whole load had been taken off this pregnancy thing.

But not quite.