The Pregnancy Club - Chapter 27

Aimee

    I had managed to avoid Josh and Peyton for the entire winter break. I didn't return Peyton's messages, and Josh didn't even bother to call. Peyton sent me a text inviting me to her annual New Year's Party, where everyone got drunk on cheap champagne and ended up passed out in the backyard or making out in the guest bedrooms with people the hadn't met until that night. Obviously I didn't go.

   School started up again too soon. Josh wouldn't look at me, but Peyton had the nerve to pretend everything was the same. She called me over to where her, Morgan, and Megan were sitting. I looked over, and quickly walked into the school and hid in the bathroom the like the pathetic loser I am until the bell rang. I remembered Morgan's breasts looking oddly perky today, but I didn't pay much attention to it.

  Peyton also tried to sit with me at lunch. She set her tray down with a green salad and water, and quickly glanced at my tray filled with a hamburger, fries, a chocolate chip cookie and chocolate milk. I scowled at her before grabbing my tray and walking out.

   I knew that I had been eating a lot more lately, but what can you expect from an almost six-months-pregnant teenager that had just found out that her best friend had snatched up her boyfriend as soon as she was dumped.

Maybe they were even going out for longer.

  Ever since Chastity suggested it the thought of Josh cheating on me ran through my mind every second.

"At least she wasn't dating him when you were." Those had been her words. I knew that if I was going to find out I had to confront Peyton.

                                                       *                        *                    *

The next day when Peyton made another attempt to sit down, I spoke up. "What are you doing here?" I kept my voice low, so that the wannabees in the table beside wouldn't overhear and spread it through the whole school.

"What do you mean?" Peyton asked, smiling, but her eyes were cold.

"Are you seriously going to pretend that everything is the same?"

"I don't know what you're talking about." Peyton unscrewed her bottle cap and took a sip of water, never taking her eyes off me.

"Do you think I'm stupid?"

"Of course not . . . where are you going with this?" Peyton sounded exasperated now. She glanced around the cafeteria and then pulled out her phone, which had just let out a cheerful chirp, signaling that she had a text. "I, um . . . gotta go. See you later." She muttered, grabbed her tray and threw her untouched salad in the garbage. Then she marched out.

I stared after her, dumbfounded. How can she just walk away like that? When I'm in the middle of confronting her?

I decided to follow her. I got up, leaving my tray at the empty table. The wannabees looked over at me, their phones cradled in their hand, ready to text the whole school if I made one unperfect move.

"Aimee! What's up?!" Megan called as I stalked through the doors.

"Would you just shut up?!" I yelled. I looked back at Megan's dumbfounded face. I knew that the wannabees had heard because half of them were staring at me, their mouths perfect little O's, and the other half were quickly texting on their knockoff Blackberrys.

As I passed by the janitors closet I heard an bump and the sound of something falling. The lights were off, and the janitors were probably in the Staff Lounge enjoying lunch. I slowly opened the door and switched on the light, and suddenly I understood what it feels like to be the cat that gets killed by curiosity.