The Pregnancy Club ~Epilogue~ Sadie

Four Months Later

Sadie

"And this is the Diane Sklar Blau Sculpture Garden." Our campus tour guide, Tamara, an easy-going woman wearing a long skirt that dusted the floor and hair pulled back in a loose French braid. There were a couple of "Ooh's" as we looked at the intricateley designed sculptures, surrounded by neatly trimmed hedges.

It was August 31st, and MiSPP was hosting a New Student Orientation, and I got to indulge in a tour after going through the basics. So far, the campus was amazing. Everything had a calm and serene atmosphere, from the large, open "atrium" (large opened-roof room in the centre of campus)  to the Moustakas Johnson Library. On September 1st class would start, and I couldn't wait to get in the habit of this university. 

That's another thing. MiSPP didn't feel like a university, it was way more easy-going than that. The place is modern, nothing about it is something you'd see at Columbia or UCLA. I doubt this school even had their own sweaters. All the students so far seemed pretty easy-going too, except for this one girl I met when I was reviewing my Orietation package.

"Hi! I'm Anastasia. Like the Russian princess. Don't call me Anna, though." She had chirped, plopping her bony butt beside me. She had shoulder-length auburn hair, and was wearing a grey cable-knit sweater and tall, fluffy brown boots. Uggs, or whatever they're called.

"Um, hi. Sadie." I said, offering my hand. She took it firmly and shook it, her long, manicured fingernails digging into my palm.

"Sadie. Anyways, what do you think of campus so far?"

"It seems really cool. I haven't seen much of it yet, but I'm hoping that while I'm here I can kind of . . . find myself." I explained, attempting to be cheerful and open.

All of the sudden, a scowl had appeared on her face. "Find youself? Psychology isn't about finding you, it's about helping other people find themselves. You don't become one to sit and discover your true feelings, you do it for the good of others. Everybody who really cares about psychology would know that." Without saying another word or allowing me to say something, Anastasia got up, and stalked away.

But other than that people seemed cool.

I tuned back to Tamara, who had been reciting the history of the Sculpture Garden, but had stopped to take a slow, yoga-ish breath.

"People come here to reflect on their day, or just relax in the sunlight of dawn." Closing her eyes Tamara inhaled and exhaled once more. A Tamara-wannabee did the same. "Alright. Let's continue."

                                                   *                                   *                               *

After Orientation had finally finished, I was allowed to go home, piled with folders. The car ride was silent, which I used to hate because it meant I'd have to think, but I suppose if I'm going to start going to MiSPP, I better start learning to embrace my thoughts.

Back in May, a couple days after Chastity, Aimee and I had celebrated Mira's birthday and told us she was getting married and forcing me into a pink dress, Liz called.

"Hi, Sadie." She said softly, clearing her throat slightly.

"Liz? What are you . . . why are you calling?"

"Um, well, I don't know if you'd remember or not, but today is Jacob's birthday."

"Who's Jacob?" I rack my brain, trying to remember any family members named Jacob that would be important enough for her to call me.