The Pregnancy Club - Chapter 8

Chastity

The Pregnancy Club was nothing I like I though it would be.

The majority of the girls went to different schools, as far as I knew. Flame however, did. She had been going to the Christian Schools for years now. I even knew her real name, Faith. Faith Harper. Her dad was a good friend of mine. I remembered, at the beginnging of church I would see her, sitting at the back. I studied her with wary curiosity, timing her leaving, which was promptly five minutes after the sermon began. Whispers of smoke rings curling into oblivion behind the chapel, and occasionally a white powder dusting the grass. Five minutes before the service ended, she showed up again, with bloodshot eyes and trembling hands. Her parents never suspected anything. I didn't dare snitch on her.

Once I heard our fathers discussing Flame. Her dad was upset, the spite and stubborness his daughter had obtained something he was not used to. He doesn't understand why she has suddenly decided to act out, get in trouble at school, and stay out late.

Eavesdropping on the conversation from around the corner, I contemplated the common feelings between Flame's father and I.

There was a time when she was my best friend.

When we were kids, much younger, we bonded over our placement in Sunday School, colouring pictures that we would later trade. We were always partners in class, and occasionally she arrived at my house, dolls in hand, for an hour or so. But when she turned eleven she decided to stop hanging out with me, out of the blue. She became a living ghost, drifting down the hallways, never speaking, but when we got to high school she found refuge in a new group, one that accepted, welcomed new members with open arms and a lighter.

It was awkward seeing her in The Pregnancy Club. It almost proved how little we knew about each other. Strings of painful memories played a sad tune as I remembered staring as Flame walked into the cafeteria, drawing no one's attention but my own, and promptly seating herself without any food on the opposite end of the lunchroom.

On the ride home with Erik driving, I sat in silence, thinking about how this pregnancy was going to affect my life. I would never be able to go out with friends now because I have to take care of this baby. Erik and I would have to get a job, we don't want to live in his mom's house forever.

Or  maybe me and Erik won't even end up together.

The thought made me tear up, so instead of having a mental breakdown in the car, I decided to lean back and try to sleep for a little while

I had no idea where my dreams were going to take me.

I opened my eyes. It was dark in the room, lit only by a dim side table lamp. I looked around, and realized I was in Erik's bedroom.

Then I realized where I really was. I was in Erik's bedroom. The night we had sex.

The night I got pregnant.

Suddenly the bathroom door opened, and Erik came out. Only in his boxers. I looked down at my self and realized I was in my underwear too. Erik had the same nervous smile he had that night, and if I could see myself I would have guessed that I had the same expression.

"Are you ready?" Erik whispered.I had tried to open my mouth to answer, "No! We shouldn't do this! Everything will go wrong! "Pulling out" doesn't work!" But no words came out.

Erik slowly sat down on the bed, and I immediatley made room for him. It's like I wasn't in control of my actions. Erik leaned in for a kiss, and I found myself leaning towards him too. This kiss was different from our usual. This kiss meant that we were commited. We would go to the moon and back for each other, and whatever we were about to do, we were ready.

Even though I secretly knew we weren't.

I felt Erik reaching for my bra strap, and then everything was a blur. Soon I found myself right under him, being passionatley kissed. I loved him. I wanted him.

No you don't! I screamed at myself. You don't want him. Unfortunatley, I couldn't hear anything.

Suddenly, Becky walked in. I bolted up right, stopping Erik. He turned around also, looking his mom in the face. I slid under the covers to hide myself.

Becky didn't seem to understand what was happening. She simply walked into the room, closer to the bed. I realized she was holding something in her hand. Something small. And it was moving. She slowly came into the light, and I saw what she was holding. 

It was a baby. It had large blue eyes, just like mine, but it's wispy hair was brown, like Erik's. She gently laid it down in my arms. It was swaddled in a blanket, so I couldn't tell if it was a boy or a girl. I didn't care. In that one moment, I felt more attached to that baby than I had to anyone in my entire life.

Almost as much as I loved Erik. It was close, however.

The baby looked into my eyes. Its little hand grabbed my chin. Erik and Becky were still watching. I leaned down to give the baby a kiss . . .

I jolted upright just as the car came to a halt in Erik's driveway.

"Are you okay?" Erik swiveled in his seat, looking truly concerned.

"Yeah . . . I'm fine." I murmured.

"You fell asleep."

"Yeah, I know . . ." I said. Erik jumped out of the car and came around to open the door for me. Always a gentlemen. 

Inside his house again, I thought about my dream. If I fell in love with a baby that was mine in a dream, how much would I love it when I was actually able to hold it. I never really thought about the baby part of this pregnancy. I felt selfish. Not everything about this pregnancy was about me, I realized.

If I was going to this thing, I wanted my child to be my main priority. Suddenly, I wasn't so afraid.

In a way, I was excited.