The Pregnancy Club - Chapter 23

HEY EVERYONE, THE NEXT THREE CHAPTERS WILL ALL BE IN DECEMBER STILL, EVEN THOUGH THE MONTH USUALLY CHANGES WHEN IT COMES BACK TO CHASTITY'S POV.

                                                     *                              *                             *

Chastity

    I had never been able to sleep through Christmas Eve. Even now, I still don't end up falling asleep until two a.m. and keep waking up at different points during the night to creep downstairs and peek. Then I would quietly read in my bedroom until my Mom and Dad woke up.

  Erik, at some point, had crawled into bed with me when he heard me creeping downstairs. I turned around and saw him, at the top, his brown hair in a bed-head and un-gelled. He didn't say anything, just took his hand in mine and led me upstairs. He crawled into bed with me and spooned me with his body, wrapping an arm over my stomach as he soothed me to sleep.

   Soon enough it was Christmas morning, and Becky was scuttling around the house, trying to prepare the perfect "Christmas Morning Breakfast", featured in the new edition of Woman's Day.

   "Erik, honey, could you grab me the cinnamon?" She asked as she stirred a bowl of what looked like rice pudding, except it was green. Ew.

   "Kay," He shuffled through the spice drawer and pulled a container with red powder in it. "Here you go." He held it out to Becky, only for her to shoo it away.

  "Erik! That's paprika! Do you really want paprika in your rice pudding?" She scolded.

"I think you're overthinking this whole breakfast, Mom." Erik put a hand on his mother's shoulder.

"Maybe, but I wanted it to be special. For Chastity." She nodded in my direction.

"Honestly, Becky, I wouldn't mind a bit if we just had toast or something." I explained.

"Oh . . . well then alright. Green rice pudding and toast it is!" She exclaimed and grabbed some bread to pop in.

Breakfast was delicious, and if you ignored the colour the rice pudding tasted amazing. Then it was present time. My heart was in flutters.

"Let me hand out my presents first!" Becky exclaimed. She seemed more excited than I was. "One for you, Chastity, and one for Erik." She handed them out. Mine was two boxes, one larger than the other, and the other was flat. I opened the large on first. It was a baby moniter, the kind that you stick in any room so you can here them crying.

"Thanks Becky!" I said, as I reached for the next one.

"I wasn't sure if you would like it, but I heard somewhere that this was your favourite book as a child." Becky explained as I carefully tore open the gift. The title was "I'll Love You Forever" and the picture was of a mischevious toddler beside a toilet. 

Becky was right, this was my favourite book as a child. I remembered when I was little, my Mom would come into my room and cradle me in her arms, just like the book, and sing the song.

I'll love you, forever.

I'll like you, for always.

As long as I'm living,

My baby you'll be.

She promised me that I'll always be her baby, and that she'll love me forever. Guess when you're pregnant that promise doesn't mean anything anymore.