The Pregancy Club - Chapter 14 (Picture of Jen)

October

Chastity

It was the first Sunday of October, which meant I was off to another pregnancy club meeting. Erik was driving me, steering with one hand and holding mine in the other. I could use the support. September had definatley not been one of my favourite months so far. Everyone, except for Erik, was shunning me. All my friends haven't spoken a word to me. I've seen Flame a couple times, sitting by herself in the cafeteria, but I didn't know if it was a good idea for me to go and sit with her. She might unleash her fangs.

I stepped out of the car and waved goodbye to Erik, and then made my way to Room 231. Tanya, - who's stomach was now about the size of a beach ball - Sadie and Flame were already there. Aimee was no where to be seen.

Right behind me, Jen came bustling through the door, except this time she was hauling in a stroller with her. Inside, a small toddler about three years old with whispy copper hair was sleeping, a small trickle of drool creeping out of his mouth. 

"Sorry everyone, but Daniel couldn't babysit today, he got a last minute call from work." She explained as she attempted to make the stroller fit in the small room. She finally managed to squeeze the stroller in beside her. "Okay, now we can get started." She looked around at all of us. "Where's Aimee?"

As if on que, the door swung open. "I'm here!" Aimee shouted, a chorus of "Shhh's" coming from the librarians behind her.

"Alrighty then." Jen never commented about how Aimee was always late. She seemed too nice for that. "So everybody, I thought of instead of doing what we usually do, I thought I could finally tell you my story about how I had my son, Elijah." She pointed to the boy in the stroller, who was still sleeping. "Oh, but first, how far along are each of you?"

I couldn't believe that I was now three months pregnant. It almost didn't seem possible. Aimee and Sadie were also three months, however Flame was five and Tanya was eight. No wonder it looked like someone had shoved the moon down her throat.

"Have all of you gone to get your ultrasounds?" Flame and Tanya nodded their heads, and Tanya even pulled out the small, grainy black and white picture to show to everyone.

"Um, I haven't." I interupted everyone's "aws" and "ohs". 

"Me neither." Aimee added.

"Nuh uh." Said Sadie, shaking her head.

"Oh, well you girls should be going pretty soon. It's important for a doctor to see how your baby is doing." Jen advised. "Anyway, my son Elijah is three years old. I had him when I was fifteen, and his father is my boyfriend Daniel." Everyone looked astonished. She's only eighteen? She looks more . . . mature than that. "I love my son, but my choice to keep him has made my life somewhat difficult. Even though I am qualified to go to university, I am not able to because I have to stay home with him. Daniel works long hours to bring home money so we can buy our own apartment. We are currently living with my parents. Daniel's parents never liked me, and they told Daniel that it was either she goes, or both of us go. I was surprised that Daniel would be so loyal. My parents are accepting, but things are still awkward. Not to mention how pregnancy affects your body. I have stretch marks all around my stomach, and my back was very sore. It was hard to sleep at night, and sometimes you can get really emotional." She stopped and looked at our horrified faces.

"However," She began, this time picking a waking Elijah out of the stroller and onto her lap. "Elijah was one of the best things that happened to me. All of you may think of only the bad things about pregnancy, but that's not only it. After you go through the hard work, you come out with something so perfect, the minute you see it it takes your breath away." She kissed Elijah's cheek. "Every day I see Elijah, is like that one perfect moment in the hospital. It's like waking up in heaven, except your alive to feel it all. Sure, things may be tough, there are the diapers, the crying at night and the feeding, but it was all worth it. I love my family, more than anything in the whole world, and to give it up, would be like selling my soul. I now live and breath my family, they are the one thing that gets me up every morning. Without them, I would be nothing."

I couldn't speak. My baby is going to be my whole life? Will I love it every day, even when it cries? I wondered. If Jen felt this much passion for her baby, would I feel the same way? I hoped so. I looked over at Sadie, who seemed to be in a state of shock. I thought it was because of the speech Jen made, but then I realized she was staring at Tanya. I looked over, and suddenly I realized what was happening. A small pool of water was on the floor under Tanya, and she herself was staring at her stomach with a look of horror. She looked up at all of us.

"Jen . . ." Sadie whispered, her voice hoarse. Jen was combing her fingers through Elijah's hair.

"What?" Jen asked absent-mindedly. She looked up and turned to see what we were staring at. Her face froze.

This time Tanya spoke: "It's happening."