The Pregnancy Club - Chapter 13 (Picture of Ben)

Sadie

School. It was right in front of me. I could see it. It was like a giant zit on the face of the Earth. A blemish on the world.

"Do you want me to drop you off here?" My dad asked, stationed in front of the south doors. He had offered to drive me on my first day, even though I pleaded for him not to.

"Yeah. Sure." I grabbed my backpack and slammed the cardoor. I didn't want to talk to my dad. It was his fault mom was gone.

I pulled my hood up, trying to unrecognizable, for all I know Ben could pop out at any second. So far so good. It seemed like even if the whole school knew I was pregnant they wouldn't care, because no one spared me a passing glance. I was still the same old Sadie to them. 

I went inside to pick up my scheduale, and that's when I knew I was screwed: First Period: Woodshop. Ben loved Woodshop, even though the only reason I signed up was because he begged me to go with him . . . and I couldn't paint if my life depended on it. Even if I didn't see Brian before school, I would still see him very soon.

                                                                   *            *            *

Ben was sitting right beside me. As soon as I sat down Ben rushed in and snagged the spot beside me. Mr. Hall, who was pretty strict for a woodshop teacher, instructed us all to be quiet immediatley after the national anthem. Ben ripped out a sheet of his notebook paper. And began scribbling in his intense, bold handwriting.

Sadie.  Tell me what's wrong. Why aren't you returning my calls? He slid it across the table while Mr. Hall explained the rules of woodshop. I stared at the paper for a while, trying to think of what to write back.

Can I tell you at lunch instead? I wrote, and showed it to him. He nodded.

                                                *                 *              *

Lunch came sooner than I expected, and soon I was sitting across from Ben, nibbling on a turkey sub that I brought from home.

"Sadie. Please tell me what's going on. Are you mad at me?" He lowered his voice. "Did I do something wrong?"

I nibbled a little more. "Um, I guess you could say that."

"Then what did I do?! Please tell me Sadie, I can't stand it."He pleaded.

I put down my sandwich and looked at him. He really was cute. And nice. And funny. And he liked me too!

Not too, you don't like him.

Could you stop being such a bitch? You like him and you know it.

No I don't now leave me the heck alone!

"Ben, I need to tell you something. Something really important. And you made hate it and think I'm ugly and gross and terrible, but it's the cold, hard, ugly truth.

"What is it?" Ben sounded desperate.

I picked up my sandwich, and then put it down again. "Ben . . . I'm pregnant." Ben shot upright in his chair, no expression on his face. I looked at him for what felt like the longest time, waiting for him to say something.

"I, u-uh." He stammered. He pulled out a packet of Jolly Ranchers from his pocket and put one in his mouth. He didn't offer me any. "Who . . . who's the d-dad?"

"You stupid! Who else?" I whisper shouted. Ben stared at his maccaroni.

"H-how?"

"I don't really need to go into the details of where babies come from, do I, Ben?" I tried to joke, but he wasn't laughing.

"Do you know what it looks like?"

"No, I haven't gone in for an ultrasound yet." I realized that because I was already two months pregnant I should be doing that soon.

"Does anyone else know?"

"Only my dad, and you." I decided not to mention the girls at The Pregnancy Club.

"Do . . . do you want me to help you raise it?" He finally said, staring at my stomach.

"You don't have to. I made an ad in the newspaper. As soon as the baby is born I'm going to give to a couple that can't have one. I don't even need to see it, and neither do you." Ben looked up.

"Oh, well . . . I guess that's a good idea." He popped in another Jolly Rancher, and this time he handed me a green one, my favourite. We sat in silence for a little while, sucking. "You know, I still love you, Sadie." I froze. I looked up at Ben. His head was down, and he was fiddling with his watch.

I didn't respond. What could I say? I didn't love him back.

Yes you d-

You can shut up.

"Um, you know, I have to go . . . help Ms. Petraski." I mumbled, grabbing my things and leaving the lunch table, leaving Ben and his Jolly Ranchers alone.

I didn't even know who Ms. Petraski was.