The Pregnancy Club - Chapter 33

Aimee

"Lady Gaga or Ke$ha?" Morgan asks after she sits down at lunch, placing down her tray of a burger and fries, the same as mine. Morgan had later confessed that the only reason she ever ate salads was because she didn't want to feel like a pig beside Megan.

"Hm, that's a good one. Lady Gaga is very . . . unique, but Ke$ha has that rendezvous image." Ever since the phone call we had been hanging out more often and sitting together at lunch, and I realized she was everything that Peyton wasn't. She was accepting, caring, funny, self-concious and honest. I can't believe that I ever believed she was just Megan's follower.

"I'd go with Lady Gaga. I like how her songs have a meaning." Morgan said, taking a giant bite of her hamburger. To find out more about each other, we played this little game, choosing between two things to find out what we have in common.

"Agreed. Okay, how about . . . Rebecca Black or Fergie?" I pondered.

"Ooh . . . I don't know. Both of them sound horrible without auto-tune." She laughs. "But probably Rebecca Black. "Friday" is hilarious!"

"I'd go with Fergie. When she went solo for a while she sounded way better. I think the other Peas brought her down." I smiled, and Morgan laughed again.

"You know, I never really understood why I just dismissed you. I never took the time to see the Morgan that you were when Megan isn't flanked by your side." Speaking of Megan, she had completely ditched Morgan and taken my place as Peyton's new "bestie", even shooting us both evil looks every so often when Peyton would gossip about us.

I don't know what I saw in her.

"Aimee," Morgan snapped her fingers in front of my face and I realized that I had been staring at Josh and Peyton, nuzzling each other's noses. Barf.

"Oh, yeah?"

"Forget the b*tch, you don't need her. We don't need her." She smiled, and so did I.

"Listen, Morgan, do you think that I look . . . fat?" I asked uncertaintly. It was something I had pondered ever since Josh broke up with me. Was it because I'll look fat? Will I be ugly?

"No, you look pregnant. And those are two completely different things." Morgan said.

She always says just the right things.

                                                       *                                  *                                     *

After school The Pregnancy Club girls had an emergency meeting at Ruby's Diner, which for some reason had become very popular among us after we all got pregnant.

"Hey girls, should I whip up some milkshakes?" Rita, Ruby's daughter, was aging herself, she already had two boys, one in college and one just finishing high school.

According to Rita, Ruby's had been around since the fifty's, when diner's were wildly popular. Pictures of Ruby hung on the walls beside vintage Elvis posters. Rita was Ruby's one and only daughter, and when Ruby died in the seventies, Rita took over. And here she is, forty years later, serving milkshakes and waiting tables. Her husband Robbie was the chef, a couple of her cousins helped wait tables, and sometimes her sons worked as busboys.

Rita knew all our names, after eight months she was used to us coming in with cravings of hash browns. She told us we kept her in buisness.

"That would be great, Rita." Chastity said as we slipped into our signature booth.