𝐆𝐞𝐫𝐫𝐢𝐭 𝐂𝐨𝐥𝐞

•Worth It In The End•

The Cole household had been buzzing since an early morning hour. The two children were chasing one another around the house, giggling and singing Christmas carols all while attempting to help their mother bake and cook for the days events. While the children had their fun, Gerrit was put on turkey duty. Having his wife, Y/n, do majority of the cooking and all the baking, she'd put him in charge of watching the turkey.

"Honey!" The man called as he eyed the turkey, though he was good at grilling, cooking on the stove or in the oven was not his specialty.
"Yes, my love?" The woman walked into the kitchen, clad in her jeans, a blouse and a pink apron, her hair was frizzed from her exasperated mood best part of the morning, chasing down kids and trying to get everything cooked in time for their guests.

"How do I know when this turkey is done?" He spoke bashfully. The man felt bad for the woman, wanting to help her but he couldn't cook like she could.
"Oh boy," she sighed as she quickly opened the oven and removed the turkey.
"Please turn the oven off."
"Yes ma'am."

"Mommy! Is it done yet?" D/n ran towards her mother.
The little girl was dressed in a pair of jeans and a blouse, matching her mother. She smiled kindly at her mother as she clung to the woman's leg, she could sense her mother's frustration.
"Almost darling girl, do mommy a favor?"
"What is it?"
"Find your brother and stay out of trouble?" The woman asked her daughter.
"Of course!" The little girl giggled.
"That's my girl, thank you," Y/n kissed the girls cheek.

Y/n continued to prepare dishes for her family alongside Gerrit's family. Just about done with all the baking, having finished the cooking a few minutes before.
"Smells good, what's baking?" Gerrit sniffed as he walked into the kitchen.
"Apple pie," the woman smiled at her husband.
"Mmm." He hummed.
Gerrit stood behind the girl and placed his hands on her shoulders, he slowly massaged the woman's shoulders and upper back releasing the tension she'd felt all morning.
"Thank you," she whispered as she leaned her head back into her husbands chest.
"You're welcome love, now why don't you go finish getting ready, I'll get the pie out in ten minutes."
"Are you sure?"
"Positive."
"Thank you," the girl kissed the corner of Gerrit's mouth and headed for the stairs to finish getting ready for the evening.

"Wow," Gerrit smiled impressed.
The long table was filled with dishes, turkey, ham, stuffing, macaroni and cheese, yams, an array of casseroles, fried cabbage, and more. At the end of the table a few dishes sat filled with mouth watering desserts such as: Brownies, apple pie, pumpkin pie, multiple different cookies, and so much more.

"Is that a good wow?" Y/n chuckled with her hands on her hips.
"Absolutely!" Gerrit smiled as he spun his wife around and pulled her into him.
"You are super woman," he kissed her tenderly.
"Shhh don't spill my secret," she giggled.
"My lips are sealed," he chuckled as he kissed her once more.

"Happy Thanksgiving to you too," Y/n's brother gagged as he watched the pair kiss.
"B/N!" Y/n smiled awkwardly as she pulled out of the kiss.
"Hey sis, Gerrit..." the younger sibling held back his laugh.
"Uhh, who let you in?" Y/n wondered.
"My favorite niece," he shrugged.
"Shithead," Y/n chuckled as she watched the little girl peek around her brothers leg.

Shortly after the greeting with Y/n's brother other family members were piling in, all of them held large smiles and loud laughs as they gathered around the large table and said their thanks towards one another.
One person had asked what everyone was thankful for, it was now Gerrit's turn.

"I'm thankful for all of you, my family, Y/n's family, my baseball family, my job, my house, being alive, I'm so thankful for all of it!" The man smiled around the table.
"But I'm most thankful for this woman right here," Gerrit pointed at Y/n.
"For the past seven years I've watched her put up with so much, me included," he laughed.
"And all morning I watched her work to make this delicious food, and all those desserts, I watched her work so hard, and I just fell so in love with her all over again, she was so dedicated and I- I just have so much love for this woman, and I'm so thankful." He finished.

By the end of Gerrit's speech Y/n had been in tears, the vigorous work she'd put in this morning had her emotions all over the place, her tears were bound to spill she just hadn't expected them to spill at the table.
"I love you," she sniffed as she hugged her husband.
"I love you so much my love," he whispered into her ear.
A chorus of "awe's" sung around the table as both families admired the relationship the pair shared.

The rest of the evening was spent full of laughter and giggles, good food, loving and warm hugs, and most importantly thanks. Each person expressed their thankfulness to everyone in the large dining room.
It was an evening to remember for everyone.

Though Y/n had been beyond stressed this morning while cooking, it was all worth it in the end. To see her family, and Gerrit's family enjoying themselves, it was an amazing feeling. She was already thinking up ideas for what to cook next year!

_______________________________________________
~Authors Note~

Good evening my loves!!
        Happy Thanksgiving!🦃🤍

I hope you all had or have a wonderful Thanksgiving, whether it's spent with lots of family, or just a small one, or even alone, I pray it's a good one for you.

I am beyond thankful for all of you! When I started writing on here I had no hope for anyone reading my stories, but now I look at the number of views and I'm just shocked to know so many of you enjoy what I write. I truly love all of you so much!

Much love!!🫶🏻