Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 17 - Is Vᴇɴᴏᴍ ᴛʜᴇ ɪᴍᴘᴏsᴛᴇʀ?

Thump

Thump

Riko's body comes out of the curse that rests on Toji's shoulders, her uniform now stained with her own blood. Her cold body now rests on the white cover that was set on the table.

Three men surrounding the body with undifferent faces, not perturbed by the teenager's lifeless body lying in front of them "The corpse of the Star Plasma Vessel, Riko Amanai. All four limbs intact, too." Toji informs.

A man with black slicked hair raises his hand towards Riko's body, he flicks a bit of Riko's hair to check if it's real. He brings his hand back with a small hum of acknowledgement "Indeed." A smile now printed on his face.

"We'll issue your payment as we discussed." He angles his head towards both men "I'll even throw in a bonus."  Toji just smiles at the response "Thank you, Founder. You're so generous."

Shiu Kong makes a face at Toji's reply, his eyebrow raised unamused "He's not the founder." Toji side glances him, his eyebrows slightly raised at his remark "Huh?" Kong directs his gaze to the representative of the Star Religious Group, Shigeru Sonoda.

"Do you mean it?" Kong questions the man in front of him "I know it was a necessary expense, but you've already helped us out a lot, too." He points out bluntly, not wanting to sugar coat his words.

"I thought you'd complain a bit more." Sonoda shifts in his seat, his smile still present "We hired you for the assassination expecting that it would fail. Our Star Religious Group was founded in the Nara Era, when Tengen-sama began preaching about the moral foundation of jujutsu sorcerers, a minority, as Buddhism spread throughout Japan."

He explains "Jujutsu society and religious corporations are at complete odds with each other. That strain is what gave birth to our modern Star Religious Group, the Time Vessel Association. That is also why we have devoted ourselves to remaining non-sorcerers."

"Jujutsu sorcerers are granted many privileges above the law, but they're still fundamentally forbidden to lay a hand on non-sorcerers. However, the time had finally arrived." Sonoda stands up and starts to wrap Riko's body with the white cloth that is beneath her.

"The time of the taboo recorded in out scriptures!" Sweat starts to form on Sonoda's face "Our Star Religious Group has evolved to a monotheistic religion worshipping one absolute god! And it was now time for our object of worship to assimilate with that impurity!"

He grabs Riko's body, both men just watching him from the sidelines "If our believers saw us simply sit back and watch the assimilation happen, our Association would crumble." Sonoda starts to walk.

"Yet if we took excessive action, jujutsu sorcerers would crush us. So we were truly desperate." He stops at the entrance without looking back at the duo "And how did it all turn out? We thought we were going to lose everything, and now we have it all!" His grip tightens on Riko's body.