Chapter Twenty-Six: The Darkest Curse

"Mr. Wilde, I understand that you have some interest in some form of powerful magic?" Headmaster Dippet questioned, sitting in front of Myrddin.

Myrddin sat annoyed as the eccentric Professor Lilpos sat beside him. He sighed before answering.

"I wouldn't call it an interest more of a discovery." He answered slyly, getting a gentle chuckle from the elderly Headmaster.

"Professor Lilpos tells me it has something to do with a Patronus, correct?" He again questioned.

Myrddin nodded, and he opened his mouth to speak. The words were ripped from his mouth as Lilpos chimed on.

"And a mixture of a protective charm and. . ." She paused, struggling to finish her statement.

"The Killing Curse." Dumbledore finished rising from the entrance of the Headmaster's entrance.

A pit opened in Myrddin's stomach as Dumbledore appeared. He felt a sense of nervousness fill him. Dippet's kind smile faded, and a seriousness took over him. He straightened himself and cleared his throat.

"Tell me, Mr. Wilde, why does this unforgivable curse interest you?" He questioned, giving Myrddin a sense of unease.

The three professors looked to Myrddin with a concerned glare. He swallowed the lump in his throat before explaining.

"Under Professor Lilpos' assignment, we were tasked with adjusting a set spell and making a new one. The most likely outcome of most students was to make a stronger version of a spell. However, me being me, I wanted to try a little harder. Bringing me to this theory, I've worked up." Myrddin stood up and pointed at the set of notes on Dippet's desk.

"You see, it is understood that love magic is a powerful form of magic that bridges the barriers of dark and light magic. A patronus exemplifies this as a materialization of one's true joy. Making it a form of love magic." Myrddin continued.

"And with that thought in mind, I remembered that there are many curses that can not be blocked fully by another spell. There is one that completely rips through any barrier. Which is the killing curse. My theory is that a patronus, if adjusted, could produce a powerful shield of love that can null the killing curse." Myrddin finished standing in front of the three.

Dippet's face contorted into a frown of uncertainty. Lilpos flinched at the thought of such a spell. Dumbledore remained stoic, standing there unphased by this idea.

"Albus. What do you think?" Dippet questioned, turning to Dumbledore.

Dumbledore turned over to him, a look of theory filling his face. He stroked his beard, looking back to Myrddin.

"Myrddin, it's a wonderful and innovative theory. However, in order for it to be successful. You must indulge in a curse so dark that it corrodes your soul." Dumbledore answered, placing his hand on the piece of parchment.

"That is if you are to understand the fundamentals of the curse. Even then, there is no telling if it would be successful. If you were to test it, you could endanger helpless lives." He continued looking back to Dippet.

Dippet nodded in agreement before rising from his chair. Myrddin's face was full of disbelief. If he worked on it enough, it could work. He thought.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Wilde, but with that conclusion, there is no way that we can allow you to test out this theory." Dippet commanded.

"What about the countless good it could do!?" Myrddin exclaimed, rising from his chair.

The professor's stepped back in surprise. Dippet's kind expression suddenly morphed into a more angered form.

"If I can pull off this spell, there is no telling how many lives could be saved! You all understand the pain and evil that comes from this curse. If we can understand it. I'm sure we can be able to negate it."

"At the cost of how many tests, no, how many lives." Dumbledore replied, a slight anger in his tone.

Myrddin looked to him in utter shock before he retorted.

"Surely the three of you can understand that there has to be some sacrifice for the improvement of life. It's for the greater good!" Myrddin exclaimed back, a hint of red flashing across his iris as he exclaimed this.

Dumbledore's face dropped hearing this phrase. Dippet's face turned red in anger, hearing the disrespect Myrddin had for the trio.

"No!" Dippet exclaimed, slamming his hands against his desk. Startling Professor Lilpos, who watched idlely from the side.

"You are to be suspended for this disrespect of yelling at your professors and headmaster! As well as possible danger against this school! If you are not suspended, you will be expelled!" Dippet yelled.

The red in Myrddin's eyes disappeared as the realization of what he said came to him. He kept himself from falling back. Dumbledore, with the kindness of his eyes, placed a hand on Dippet's shoulder.

"Professor, do not let emotion control your decision. He doesn't understand what he's saying." Dumbledore explained, cooling the furious Dippet.

Dippet sighed an irriated breath as he looked away from Myrddin.

"Explain to him why his idea can not work, Albus. For all our sakes." Dippet asked, getting a nod from Dumbledore.

"Very well, Professor Dippet." Dumbledore stated, looking to Myrddin.

"Come with me." Dumbledore commanded, striding away from the Headmaster's desk over to the exit of the office.

Myrddin nodded nervously before he followed after Dumbledore. Just before exiting, he turned back to Professor Dippet. A sense of guilt hanging on him.

"I-I apologize, professors." He whimpered, closing the door after him before following Dumbledore.

"Foolish boy. . ." Dippet stated.

"Foolish yes, but that boy id quite simply brilliant. . ." Lilpos added, crossing her arms.